Vintage Mustang Forums banner

161 - 178 of 178 Posts

·
Registered
779 Posts
I got cheesed out of an Expert medal in 45-cal many moons ago because of someone who couldn't hit the broad side of a barn.....
and somehow managed to put an extra hole in my target. Maybe they had that issue with their eyes ?
(Pissed me off but I never gave it much thought)
At the other end of my military career, I managed to equal that performance of nearly 20 years prior, with a 9-mm during 9-11.
Finally got my medal.
I just had probably my last gun qual and still didn't get Expert. Granted, I haven't been training but I always do well until the 15 yd target.

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
We always got to shoot the 45, M16 and 870. The Coast Guard was big into riot control.

·
Premium Member
2,507 Posts
Folks like you made running qualification ranges a lot of fun...especially when the shooter wasn't aware of his/her condition. o_O
I discovered it when I got my first pellet rifle as a young lad. I complained to my dad about the peep sights that were on it. He watched me shoulder the rifle and try to see the target and then had me do the finger trick to find my dominant eye. Teaching myself to shoot the rifle left handed was a bit tricky but I'm not a bad shot with a long gun, now a pistol is a different story. I even shoot my bow lefty.

·
Just some guy
20,004 Posts
Folks like you made running qualification ranges a lot of fun...especially when the shooter wasn't aware of his/her condition. o_O
I didn't know that was a problem. I'm left eyed and kind of right handed and it hasn't affected my shooting that I'm aware of. Just amateur stuff though, I've never had a pro walk me through anything. "Kind of" being I write, draw, and eat left handed but tend to do most other things right handed. I've outshot a few friends over the years just for fun here and there so I'm pretty sure I don't totally suck at shooting.

·
Registered
8,693 Posts
870..... Is that the Remington pump?
Never shot one of those. I personally hated the wood stock 12 gauge the military used. (Mossberg maybe?)
I never walked away from one of those without a 1 month "tattoo" on my shoulder in the shape of the non-existant recoil pad.

·
Registered
3,830 Posts
870..... Is that the Remington pump?
Never shot one of those. I personally hated the wood stock 12 gauge the military used. (Mossberg maybe?)
I never walked away from one of those without a 1 month "tattoo" on my shoulder in the shape of the non-existant recoil pad.
Did a lot of shotgun shooting during my career in corrections...mostly as a Firearms Instructor. The main thing about shooting shotguns is to lean forward into the weapon and make sure the butt is in the pocket of your shoulder. When I qualified to become an instructor, so much shotgun ammo was brought in, the folks instructing course just threw it all into a pile and told us to fire it all up. Birdshot, buckshot, and rifled slugs were in the mix. We were just grabbing handfuls and firing it off. I was hurting for awhile after that session.

·
Registered
3,830 Posts
Last time I tested, I could type 72 words per minute.
I once spent 18 days in jail. Six days when I was initially arrested, and then 12 days over 6 weekends. I witnessed a riot and also watched a guy pull a handful of balloons out of his butt and he and another guy snorted the contents.
I can have a bad tempter and throw things. Then I have to go find them.
I have a reoccurring nightmare that I'm out in the wild somewhere and surrounded by rattlesnakes. I don't see the snakes, but I can hear them.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I’m a 2 time oral cancer survivor. Never smoked, never dipped and would hardly call myself a drinker. I’ve had part of my upper jaw including a few of my chompers removed as well as the entire roof of my mouth, both my nasal and sinus cavities have also been compromised. I wear a prosthetic obturator to cover it all so I can eat/drink/talk and by looking at or listening to me speak you would never ever know.

·
Registered
507 Posts
When I get nervous, I often joke. I applied for a job with Secret Service many moons ago and during my panel interview was asked if I’d ever had sex with a farm animal. I asked how they defined farm animal. I wasn’t asked back.....

·
Registered
8,693 Posts
Reminds me of my interview with the CIA...... but I can't tell you about it :sneaky:

·
Registered
6,804 Posts
When I was 6 months old I was very sick. I ran up a fever of 106 when my mom decided she had to do something. I had convulsions, quit breathing, turned blue and died. My mom put me in a basket with a blanket and all she could think to do was try and get my fever down. She emptied the ice cube trays on top of me and wrapped me up. She had no car and we lived out in nowhere so she just ran out into the night. She saw a light way out in the distance so she ran with me across the fields and came to a house that someone had left their porch light on for whatever reason. It turned out to be a lady orthapedic nurse who knew infant CPR. She brought me back. Much later on, a thing called hypothermia was discovered but mom knew nothing of that. Hypothermia from the ice kept me alive until she could get me to the neighbors house and get help.

I have been almost shot a few times, almost run over by a few vehicles, got pneumonia and spent 4 days delirious in an ICU. The doctor told my mom he didn't know if they could save me or not. I've gotten blood poisoning and almost lost my leg to amputation. I was almost hit by a train when I was a kid.

One night I was driving, fell asleep and wandered over the line in front of an 18 wheeler coming over the hill. I barely woke up when his headlights and horn sounded. The next thing I remember was skidding back into the ditch on my side of the road.

I was drag racing my car once and wound up doing 2 360's in the middle of the track at around 110. I would swear that I heard and felt something slam into my passenger door at just the right time to keep my car from rolling. I just knew my door was ruined. My car finally skidded to a stop sideways and the track was about to run a dragster down on top of me. The guy I had raced in the red comet practically flew over to the ticket booth just in time to get them to hold up until I could get off the track. He saved my life. I parked and got around and looked at my door. It was perfect, not a dent or scratch on it, not even a hand print.

At one of the deepest and darkest times in my life I stared into the abyss with every intention of falling and was pulled back by the most strange series of circumstances that should never have happened. I have felt a hand on my shoulder and that touch made me feel warm and at peace inside for the first time in many years as if someone had wrapped me in a warm blanket. When I opened my eyes everything around me had turned sparkling gold. It was the worst of times and I felt I couldn't go on any longer.

By any common sense and reason I should have died a long time ago and many times over. I am nobody, nobody important, nobody special, nobody deserving, just nobody. I don't know why all this has happened to me and I don't know why I am still here but here I am, still here.

·
Registered
4,358 Posts
I sometimes eat ice cream with a fork.

·
Premium Member
6,705 Posts
I grew a third tooth. Baby tooth knocked out 2nd grade, adult tooth knocked out 5th grade, grew a decent tooth the next year or so. About 1 - 4% of the population can do so, primarily males.

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
In 1986 Adm Paul Yost became the Coast Guards 18th Commandant. He had served in Vietnam and believed that the Coast Guard as one of the nations 5 armed services wasnt military enough. He had offensive weapons systems (Harpons) installed aboard our larger cutters. He made a huge push toward general military training. To advance in the Coast Guard you must complete courses of study in your job specialty and courses in general military requirements. To make E-5 I learned about effective riot control. Take command of the rooftops, fire the 870 at a shallow angle to bounce pellets off the road and incapacitate multiple rioters at the knees with a single shot. Yep, just the kind of thing you want 18 year olds with minimal training to be doing on the streets with guns.

I was in NOLA doing relief work after Katrina. The team I was on assembled and operated Zodiacs to transport members of the 82nd Airborne throughout the city. I had never worked with Army guys during my career and didnt really know what to expect. Turns out that they were very professional, well trained and very concerned about the mission they were on. A First Lieutenant I was working with told me that it was not their mission to police U.S. citizens. I spent about 2 weeks down there living in a small tent, was I ever so glad to get back to AC when I got home.

·
Premium Member
2,652 Posts
... I am, still here.
You're here because you were created, with purpose.
I've survived quite a few close calls myself. I'm not concerned. I don't hesitate. I have started working on a "retirement" plan, though. Don't wanna press my luck.

·
Registered
8,693 Posts
You would have to kill us, cut off our heads and put them in a safe.
I can tell you that the CIA guy that interviewed me..... about 3 weeks later I saw him on the quad at CU in Boulder CO, as they were having a job fair. As I walked by him I greeted him by name. You would have thought he'd seen a ghost / sharded himself. He had no idea who I was.
So you could say I "spooked" a "spook."

·
Registered
13 Posts
People accuse me of hating cats for some reason. Heck I have a cat shaped wine bottle. Who would have that?

161 - 178 of 178 Posts