Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My moment was when I first got my mustang about 20 plus years ago. I had a shop change my manifold and went to pick her up. On the drive back home the gas pedal got stuck on the floor. Luckily I was on a road with lil traffic. After the panic passed I stomped the gas a few times very hard and it popped free. When I got the nerve to go right back to the shop they found they had twisted the linkage a bit when they reinstalled it so it was binding.
Oh I had a hub cap pop off on I10 and shoot across a few lanes. Lucky it did not hit anybody's car

·
Registered
3,276 Posts
I just had installed Ford aluminum intake and 600 Holley on the 289 in my 65 and she sounded great. Took it out for a spin and stomped on it. It took off like a scalded cat then suddenly sputtered to a stop. OH MY GOSH! Already blew it up! Popped the hood and I hadn't tightened down the coil and when I launched, it has slammed backwards and pulled the coil wire loose. Plugged it back, said a little pray, it roared back to life and puttered home to fix it.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I just had installed Ford aluminum intake and 600 Holley on the 289 in my 65 and she sounded great. Took it out for a spin and stomped on it. It took off like a scalded cat then suddenly sputtered to a stop. OH MY GOSH! Already blew it up! Popped the hood and I hadn't tightened down the coil and when I launched, it has slammed backwards and pulled the coil wire loose. Plugged it back, said a little pray, it roared back to life and puttered home to fix it.
bet that scary

·
Registered
5,205 Posts

In this video I had been trying to get the GT ready to go to NPD's last annual Mustang Roundup in January '18 but I could not get the proportioning valve to stop leaking (I had even bought copper conical seats for the fittings and had really tightened them down but still it was leaking). After the video it was an obvious easy fix that I had been fretting over. It's a bit hard to see in the video if you don't know what you are looking for, but the leak was coming from the brake line block above the valve and you can see it shooting a stream down every time I pumped the brakes. The fitting above was extremely loose. Tightened it and it still hasn't leaked since...

Allen

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
Wow, lots to choose from. One that a buddy and I still laugh about involves front spring installation. When in college (mid '80s) another buddy said the hot ticket for stiffer front springs in a 65/66 Mustang was Boss 302 springs. Well I drove about 100 miles to a friend with a Ford dealership to pickup and install the springs. We got the springs in, set the car down and OMG it compressed next to nothing. The front end was probably 4- 5" too high. It was late and I had to get back to school. I drove 100 miles at night blinding people and with the camber all f'd up. My friend shook his head wondering how I would ever make it as I left. I think I removed the springs in my fraternity parking lot and cut 1 1/2 coils out. Stupid kid... Springs have long since been replaced.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Here's one, back when I first bought my 65 I was just 27 and living in an apartment complex without a garage. This setback didn't dissuade me from changing the oil in the parking lot. Unfortunately I forgot to pull the old o ring off the oil filter doubling them up.This resulted in me leaving a trail of brand new oil all the way across the parking lot! Fortunately I noticed the oil pressure gauge dropping before it pumped completely dry and trashed my motor. Felt like such an idiot! Sufficed to say we moved to a place with a garage later that year.

·
Registered
716 Posts
Wow, lots to choose from. One that a buddy and I still laugh about involves front spring installation. When in college (mid '80s) another buddy said the hot ticket for stiffer front springs in a 65/66 Mustang was Boss 302 springs. Well I drove about 100 miles to a friend with a Ford dealership to pickup and install the springs. We got the springs in, set the car down and OMG it compressed next to nothing. The front end was probably 4- 5" too high. It was late and I had to get back to school. I drove 100 miles at night blinding people and with the camber all f'd up. My friend shook his head wondering how I would ever make it as I left. I think I removed the springs in my fraternity parking lot and cut 1 1/2 coils out. Stupid kid... Springs have long since been replaced.
I did a similar goof on my 67. Unknown springs but they were the same length uncompressed as the originals. We put them in and as we removed the spring compressor the springs tore the bottom of the front shocks off. Didn't happen right away either. We had both spring in and the car was still on jack stands. We were drinking beer when the first one let loose. Scared the piss out of us.

·
Registered
2,298 Posts
Let's see...
Once I didn't tighten a spindle nut over wheels bearings correctly and it welded a failed bearing to a spindle.
Once I didn't see the old oil filter o-ring on the block and realized it after the engine dumped a couple quarts in the floor.
Once I hacked a big old loogie out the window at speed and realized after a long trip it was frozen to my paint.
Once I didn't fully tighten a brake caliper bolt and when it came loose, the caliper tipped back, it locked up a front wheel about 45 mph and it flat-spotted a brand new BFG Radial T/A.
Once my brother decided to listen to the radio while I had a feeler gauge in the points, so when he turned on the ignition it knocked a dent in my head my pecker in the dirt.
It has been a while since I did something stupid like that.
The day isn't over.

·
Registered
5,205 Posts
Once my brother decided to listen to the radio while I had a feeler gauge in the points, so when he turned on the ignition it knocked a dent in my head my pecker in the dirt.
If you've never felt that feeling, I'm going to question if you've really ever worked on an older car...

Allen

·
Registered
3,299 Posts
A recent funny one was going through the trouble of wiring in the reverse light switch when I went from a C4 to T-5 a few years ago. After finishing up I put the shifter in reverse and went out back to see if the reverse lights lit up only to find out my car didn't come with reverse lights!

·
Premium Member
2,381 Posts
When I bought my 68, way back in 1994 (16 yo) the wiring under hood was horrendous so I was trying to work on that. It had 3 gauges mounted in the spot where the center ac vents go. One of the gauges was an amp gauge, I hooked it up and was so proud until I looked and noticed the inside of the car was full of smoke. I got it unhooked before it caught fire but not without sustaining a few burns and destroying all the new wiring I had ran to make everything else work.

Then not long after I swapped the 2 barrel for a shiny new weind intake and Holly 4v. It was so shiny, well on the maiden voyage the throttle spring I installed flew off, I got the ignition killed but not before way over revving the 302 and hurting it really bad. Thankfully I had just rebuilt all the brakes and they brought us safely to a stop from what seemed like about mach 3.

·
Registered
762 Posts
Where do I start? One that I remember in particular, I had just replaced the carb but didn't fully tighten the fuel hose clamp. Well, I start driving some back roads and got a heavy fuel smell coming into the cabin. I knew something wasn't right so I pulled over and popped the hood to see fuel dripping from the loose line. Needless to say, I was rather freaked out but it was an easy fix at least and no issues afterwards.

Oh, there was the time I installed new carpet and cut a hole for the dimmer switch. Yeah, I measured wrong and the hole was off by an inch. That was a fun one to fix.

·
Dimples
3,757 Posts
I can think of two separate times where I pulled up to an event (1 was my birthday, the other was a car show I was running) and the cooling system of my 66 let go. I’m talking antifreeze fountain. Neither was due to overheating. Just silly stuff like a failed thermostat gasket.

In both cases, I was too busy to deal with it and my hot rod buddies descended on it and had it fixed well before an uneventful drive home.

·
Registered
5,205 Posts
probably the best/most recent was after installing my GT40P. I was getting ready to out the starter in and realized we had forgot to install the sheetmetal plate that goes between the block and bellhousing ,Sigh back out it came
I just knew yours would be installing a B cam...

Allen

1 - 20 of 63 Posts