Vintage Mustang Forums banner

61 - 63 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
707 Posts
My first Edelbrock carb. (Many years ago) I mounted it and tried to get the engine started without success untill the engine hydro locked. I had connected the fuel line to the PCV port on the front of the carb. I had to pull the plugs to empty the cylinders and change the oil several times. No permanent damage, except for my pride.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Where do I start?
1-Driving my 64-1/2 convertible back from a show 100 miles from home. I hear a growling and squeaking noise as I'm cruising about 35 MPH. "Must be the U-joints going" I say to myself. I press on. After going down a large incline from about 6000 feet above sea level to about 2000 feet ASL and reaching 75 MPH or so, I get to the bottom and in a small town. I stop for a traffic light. It turns green and I barely make it across the intersection and the left rear wheel and axle are sticking out of the wheel well about a foot. I make it to the shoulder OK. Turns out it wasn't a U-joint, but the axle bearing that had gone dry and was making the noise. The bearing got hot enough to let go of the axle. If it had happened on the downhill at speed I wouldn't be here to tell about it.
2-Oh yes, scratch one nice painted fiberglass hood on my newly restored 65 fastback. Forgot to put the hood pins in. Sigh.
3-Was going open tracking with my 70 Mach I with brand new "sticky" track tires. Got about 2 miles from home when the left rear wheel and tire passed me as the rear end settled into a nice long scrape of the blacktop street. Yep, didn't torque the lug nuts down on that wheel.
4-Rebuilt a 289 HiPo but installed a used cam thrust plate. Oil change at 800 miles showed a nice silvery sheen in the oil. Pulled the pan and a couple of main an rod caps which were thoroughly scored. Pulled and disassembled the engine. That used cam plate wore a campher on the back of the cam timing gear thereby providing the oil system with fresh ground metal. Sheesh!

I could go on, but recapping the above has me depressed. :(

Ron

·
Registered
49 Posts
Not a Mustang story, but a very embarrassing Ford Bronco story.

It was a sunny Saturday afternoon with all my neighbors and friends out enjoying the day. I was getting my Bronco ready for paint and decided to do a 3” body lift on it before I sent it off to the paint shop. This was 30 years ago and body lift kits didn’t come with instructions and I was pretty dumb. After finishing the body lift the Bronco wouldn’t start, I now know that’s because the shift linkage to the C4 was pulled tight and had shifted itself into reverse, the throttle linkage had also been pulled to full throttle. When it wouldn’t start I decided to jump it at the solenoid, bad idea! It instantly started at full throttle and in reverse, (had it been in drive I wouldn’t be here). The unoccupied Bronco lit up the tires in reverse, went about 60 feet and hit a low block wall and launched into the air, it was easily 4 feet over the ground behind the wall. When it landed, the unsecured battery bounced over the fan where the positive battery cable got cut and shut down the engine, thank you god! The Bronco rolled down the street and came to rest against a neighbors car, everyone just stared at me and the Bronco. There was no damage accept for my ego! My wife still teases me about that day, now you can too. 😆

61 - 63 of 63 Posts