Vintage Mustang Forums banner

21 - 40 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Got the rear end cleaned up and painted. Having only done diffy work on Dana 60/80's, it's amazing how light the housing is.

I was going to paint it black but decided to go silver. I don't think the 3rd member has ever been out of the car, the gasket surface has the factory machining marks. Everything is really clean/looks phenomenal. I haven't measured it yet but it at quick glance it really appears to be in fantastic shape, I kinda feel bad about gutting it but at the same time an open 2.79:1 diffy isn't terribly desirable. This will be my first 8/9" gear install, I'm really looking forward to it, it looks like it'll be massively simple compared to the Dana's.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Was able to spend more time on it today

swapping out the factory studs for ARPs

fully disassembled the 3rd member/pinion support and cleaned them up. I wish I had a parts washer :(

Getting late so I needed to call it a night but I couldn't resist mounting the ring gear, hoping to finish up the rest of it tomorrow

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Why not build a 9" for your car?
When I first started I thought my only options were second hand or expensive stuff like the Fab9 and others and I was having a heck of a time finding one to fit the car. By the time I had realized how inexpensive the Currie units are I already bought the true trac/gears/bearing kit. Also at the time the true trac alone already blew out my budget so adding the housings/axles/third member meant making sacrifices to other areas of the car I'd like to tackle this year. If I were to do it again I would have just pushed the project till next year, went 9+ and be done with it. I'm more of a corner guy and tend to avoid hard launches so my thought was to see how the 8 holds up, save a bit of weight and give me something to tinker with in the future :laugh:

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #27 (Edited)
well I ended up cracking my pinion support like an idiot :( ended up lucking out and finding another locally but its a rougher casting.

Got it back together. Took a bit longer than I anticipated.

Not sure if this is common knowledge, but tremendously helpful if you don't have a helper for tightening ring bolts

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Drilled and tapped the rear housing for a drain

Reassembling the rear end today

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Looking hella clean. Enjoying the updates.
Thanks! Glad to hear :)

I got it mostly back together tonight, just need to make one new brake line and then put it back on the car

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Got the brake line made. I was working from the top down and after I stepped back and looked at it I wish I had made the right hand side near the carrier "drop down" like the left side does but that's being pretty picky :laugh:

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Nothing terribly fancy, shoved the rear end back under the car. Mostly playing around with rear sway bars right now. I have two different bars, the first one is a Boss 302 style (Addco 432) which uses plates with eyelets that sandwich between the spring plates (need to buy those plates, but will also need to buy new u-bolts and the ones I just put on the car are brand new but right at their limit because of the 5 leaf which I didn't anticipate). The other bar (Addco 995) mounts similarly but uses a bracket you bolt to the leaf spring instead. I like the boss style more because it mounts closer to the axle tube and it is a 13" long bar instead of a 10" long bar, although being a 1/8" larger bar. I know the extra length softens them a bit but also I'm almost certain the 10" bar will interfere with a watts link/panhard bar I'd like to do in the future. I decided not to run a RSB for now, with how stiff the springs are I don't think it'll be much of a problem, if it is I'll throw one on. For now I want to move on to other stuff.

Added 195lb Reverse eye springs, I was originally going to go with the 4.5 spring mid-eyes. I was worried about the car sitting lower than I'd like with the reveres eyes but figured might as well try. I wouldn't want it much lower but if it stays about like this once it settles I'll be happy. I still need to put the interior back in (not much) and have a bit of metal going in for the roll bar and then the battery in the trunk and some other stuff, we'll see how it does on the ground.

I set the shocks to ~40%, almost tempted to go lower. I think I put the koni's on my E46 to ~30% iirc. They are easy enough to adjust.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Finally got the seat mounts on the drivers side done, passenger side should go a good bit quicker now

·
Registered
642 Posts
Do you want to buy some nice E30 sport seats in black? They are smaller, mechanical and fit your vintage theme better than modern BMW seats?

·
Registered
5,737 Posts

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Do you want to buy some nice E30 sport seats in black? They are smaller, mechanical and fit your vintage theme better than modern BMW seats?
Tempting but I for now I'm just going to run these, thank you for the offer!

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Do you have any pics of the muffler mounts on the floor ahead of the rear axle?

Do you race this car or ?

Paul
It's by and large been sitting in the garage for the past couple years with the occasional trip to work or a friends house, I'm hoping this summer to jump into some events but we'll see. I need to stop starting new projects on it for that to happen :laugh:

I'll grab a picture this weekend, iirc its a summit hanger that I bolted to the floor board under the rear seat. Nothing terribly fancy. At some point I'd like to redo the exhaust using different style hangers I bought a few years later for other projects I have but it's kind of an if it aint broke situation.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Small updates throughout this week, I was able to get the valve train mached up to get the pushrod length

should have done this years ago, shelby drop. I only had up to a 1/2 drill bit but I managed to make it work perfectly

I'm hoping there are some sweet deals on the street or track coil over setup this weekend, although really I'll likely hold off till next winter. I finished up the new fuel line for the front end of the car, the rest of the hard line on the car is in good shape so I didn't feel like making a new one at the moment but flared the new one to 37* so in the future I can just run a quick union and call it good.

and lastly the micrometers I ordered arrived so I can double check the bearings. Also had a bunch of fel pro gaskets come, just need to get some more studs coming and a free weekend to get the motor buttoned up. I also got all of the rings sized.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
This project was back burnered for a few months, had too much going on but I'm slowly making progress in my free time

new wheels and tires showed up today

I was on the fence about the torque thrust style wheel but I'm really liking these ones. The dish is sweet and the fit is perfect (errr well definitely on the tight side of perfect but meh). 245/45r17 front 275/40r17 rear

still waiting for main bearings to arrive and an oil pan pickup for the 408, they keep getting "rescheduled" each month. I found the cam I spec'd fit the 351 I was originally going to build for it and turned into more of a spare parts motor clears. I still need to measure it but I'm thinking I'm in luck. Have all the parts for TKO except for the clutch. I need to find an 11"/26 spline combo.

I tried to make some seat rails for the passenger side to weld to the top of the factory pan but it sat to high so I cut out the passenger side box earlier this week and will finish cleaning the floor, fill in the holes, reinforce it and make new rails hopefully this weekend. That will finish up the interior bit.

21 - 40 of 61 Posts