Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1966 Mustang GT 4sp Nightmist Blue
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Happy 4th Everyone!!!

Nothing really to add that no one else has said about the ProFlo 4 but wow. She’s finally alive. Have some cleaning up to do but cold starts, hot starts etc no issues. Haven’t driven her yet as I’ll be installing the rear end in the next couple of days. Right now. Ecstatic. My 115k 225hp V8 probably makes 195hp now. Lol

I’ll do a separate write up at some point. But there are many thanks to be given!!

Chris

·
Registered
281 Posts
Happy 4th Everyone!!!

Nothing really to add that no one else has said about the ProFlo 4 but wow. She’s finally alive. Have some cleaning up to do but cold starts, hot starts etc no issues. Haven’t driven her yet as I’ll be installing the rear end in the next couple of days. Right now. Ecstatic. My 115k 225hp V8 probably makes 195hp now. Lol

I’ll do a separate write up at some point. But there are many thanks to be given!!

Chris View attachment 760193
Looks good! Any challenges installing/setting up?

·
Dimples
4,647 Posts
Looks good! Been hearing good things about that setup. Keep us posted on how it works in the long run.

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
Looking very nice, and good on you! All it has to do right now is move and stop. Work out the details later.
Nice looking ride for now.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Looks good! Any challenges installing/setting up?
When i do the write up, Im going to try and list every part that I had to purchase. It adds up quickly and I think Im all in around $3100(when I add up the receipts ill know for sure, its probably a bit more).

For me, it was where to mount the ECU. I did not want to cut a hole in the firewall as anything I do to the car I want it easily reversible. So like @drsbmiller , I attached mine to a custom bent plate that I mounted it to in the rear corner by the blower motor and used existing bolts to mount it, again not adding any new holes. The only other thing was after speaking with @Nailbender , I decided to buy my kit without the tablet and instead got an Amazon Fire HD 8 tablet for $50 brand new. I believe it is a superior piece, however you have to modify it(super easy) to get it to accept Google store. And when pairing up the ECU with the tablet, the pairing window doesnt open as it should, so I found you have to manually open it quickly and enter the right code.

Everything else was not bad, just time consuming. This winter, I will probably reroute where my fuel lines enter the engine compartment to give them more space away from the exhaust and detail the engine compartment once I have removed this engine to make room for one with a bit more HP.

Chris

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
1966 GT Fastback, 289, TKO 5-spd, EFI, 4-discs, TCP coilovers
171 Posts
When i do the write up, Im going to try and list every part that I had to purchase. It adds up quickly and I think Im all in around $3100(when I add up the receipts ill know for sure, its probably a bit more).

For me, it was where to mount the ECU. I did not want to cut a hole in the firewall as anything I do to the car I want it easily reversible. So like @drsbmiller , I attached mine to a custom bent plate that I mounted it to in the rear corner by the blower motor and used existing bolts to mount it, again not adding any new holes. The only other thing was after speaking with @Nailbender , I decided to buy my kit without the tablet and instead got an Amazon Fire HD 8 tablet for $50 brand new. I believe it is a superior piece, however you have to modify it(super easy) to get it to accept Google store. And when pairing up the ECU with the tablet, the pairing window doesnt open as it should, so I found you have to manually open it quickly and enter the right code.

Everything else was not bad, just time consuming. This winter, I will probably reroute where my fuel lines enter the engine compartment to give them more space away from the exhaust and detail the engine compartment once I have removed this engine to make room for one with a bit more HP.

Chris
I see you flipped the fuel rails and put the crossover line in the front as I did. Much nicer looking setup, don't you agree?

And I agree on the tablet choice. The one that comes with the kit is an Acer, and it is junk. You can put the app on any Android device, so why not the Amazon Fire? Also, once you pair your ECU with the device, you will never have to do it again. It stores the serial number and automatically pairs when you press the little engine button.

Get that differential installed so you can go drive!!

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I see you flipped the fuel rails and put the crossover line in the front as I did. Much nicer looking setup, don't you agree?

And I agree on the tablet choice. The one that comes with the kit is an Acer, and it is junk. You can put the app on any Android device, so why not the Amazon Fire? Also, once you pair your ECU with the device, you will never have to do it again. It stores the serial number and automatically pairs when you press the little engine button.

Get that differential installed so you can go drive!!
Yes, so much nicer!! Between you, @Mac-427 , @Nailbender, @Daniel Hartigan and others I tried to pull what I could to get me in the right direction.

Amazon has some proprietary programming so you kind have to jailbreak it and so the only hiccup was that the Bluetooth pairing window wouldn’t open automatically.

It’s almost there. :)

Chris

·
Registered
171 Posts
Yes, so much nicer!! Between you, @Mac-427 , @Nailbender, @Daniel Hartigan and others I tried to pull what I could to get me in the right direction.

Amazon has some proprietary programming so you kind have to jailbreak it and so the only hiccup was that the Bluetooth pairing window wouldn’t open automatically.

It’s almost there. :)

View attachment 760449

Chris
Nice and clean under there ... you could powder your nose using the reflection on that diff case!

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Nice and clean under there ... you could powder your nose using the reflection on that diff case!
LOL thanks! Seeing the detail in your car is an inspiration for sure!! As I replace things, I try to make it as nice as possible given my tiny garage. Everything should be super nice under there once Im done except the actual body it self. The undercoating from a thousand years ago will be a bear to remove and Im not sure Im that motivated lol. Once I have the drivetrain pulled(hopefully this winter), the engine department will get a max effort detail job and I will work harder to do a better job with the wiring, though not the gem @Mac-427 has ;) .Too I will probably take a bunch of simple green and a pressure washer and see if any of the undercoating comes off..

Chris

·
Registered
171 Posts
LOL thanks! Seeing the detail in car is an inspiration for sure!! As I replace things, I try to make it as nice as possible given my tiny garage. Everything should be super nice under there once Im done except the actual body it self. The undercoating from a thousand years ago will be a bear to remove and Im not sure Im that motivated lol. Once I have the drivetrain pulled(hopefully this winter), the engine department will get a max effort detail job and I will work harder to do a better job with the wiring, though not the gem @Mac-427 has ;) .Too I will probably take a bunch of simple green and a pressure washer and see if any of the undercoating comes off..

Chris
I'm totally with you about making things as nice as you can while your "under there" (although "nice as you can" can be a fine line to draw). Underneath-wise, you could just get under there with a stiff brush and scraper, and get any loose undercoat off, then just thickly brush on some rubberized undercoating to patch any bare spots and lightly brush over the rest to give it a fresh look.

And don't forget to paint that driveshaft!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts