Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My neighbors on one side have three cute little girls. The neighbors on the other side have two cute little girls. There are two more cute little girls who live across the street. And they all play in my yard because it is central !!

Yesterday they were all running and scooting and yelling all over the place and it was great fun to hear their enjoyment of their made-up games, but then suddenly came the moment of truth.

McKenna rode into my garage on her tricycle and looked up at me and smiled and said, "What are you doing ?"

Her innocent question stopped me dead in my tracks. "What am I doing ?" I asked myself. Here I am, dressed in filthy clothes, sweating all over, grime plugged under every fingernail, and just asking for severe back problems every time I bend down to unloosen one more Mustang bolt or bracket. And for what ?

Why do I love this car so much that I am willing to work just like a slave, day after day, week after week, to the point of exhaustion. Then I walk like an old man inside, get sort of cleaned up, take a scalding hot shower to loosen up the back muscles which feel like oak, then crawl into bed. And what do I think about ? The next day's Mustang projects !! Maybe I can finally get the cowl painted ! Or maybe I can figure out a way to nicely paint the trunk compartment !

How do you answer: "What are you doing ?"

-Jeff

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
You are practicing both a hobby and a lost art. In this day and age of go, go, go, you've stopped to smell the oil and grease. You could be out golfing, but you prefer to work on old cars. Mustangs. I would have told her about the old car in childrens terms. Explained that to make it bright and shiny, first it has to be fixed. Point out some of the things you fixed and what their function is. Not too great a detail. You never know, you may light a fire she won't understand for a few more years.

·
Registered
4,193 Posts
That's exactly how how talk to my 3 year old:

"Daddy – is your car old?"
"Yes it is, Sweetie."
"Why?"
"Well, because someone else took good care of it before I got it."
"Oh... And you're taking care of it so it will get even older?"
"Yeah – I suppose that's right..."

"Daddy... Can I help?" ;)

·
Registered
558 Posts
Well if you are enthused about working on your Stang as I am then here is what I said to my 2 year old when he asked me "Dad what are you doing"

"I am playing just like you love to play toys and blocks...well these are my toys and blocks"....his response "what are we building today?"

He already loves to learn how to work tools and I swear if he was strong enough he could help take off some of the brackets. Its great letting him hang out with me in the garage...I probably only get 1/3 the amount of work done but its still cool. ::

·
Registered
5,196 Posts
"Honey, I'm not really working on this old car. It's just that the garage has a good view of your mommy sunbathing on the deck!" :eek: :: :p

"I practice repairing this car, so I can fix bicycles better." ;)

·
Registered
383 Posts
Next time all those girls come into your yard yell at them and tell them they can no longer play in your yard. That way you don't have to answer such questions. I once asked myself what I was doing and found out that is a loaded question and no real answer. Enjoy the kids why they are around.

·
Registered
7,671 Posts
Tell the truth!

"I'm working on an old obsolete, gas-guzzling, polluting, unsafe, high-maintenance car of the "60"s so I can be the envy of my peers and so that in 30 years some kid can have the same pleasure as I'm having"!

·
AKA Exchevman
5,383 Posts
Daddy – is your car old?"
"Yes it is, Sweetie."
"Why?"
"Well, because someone else took good care of it before I got it."
"Oh... And you're taking care of it so it will get even older?"
"Yeah – I suppose that's right..."

"Daddy... Can I help?"

How cool :)

·
Registered
7,983 Posts
Indeed the truth sometimes hurts, but you seem to have summed it up about perfectly.

John Harvey

·
Registered
3,570 Posts
Here I am, dressed in filthy clothes, sweating all over, grime plugged under every fingernail, and just asking for severe back problems every time I bend down to unloosen one more Mustang bolt or bracket. quote

I can honestly say I love feeling that way. The feeling lets me know I didn't just waste a day away.
I've got a little neighbor like that...she loves the stang and wants one of her own now. At 16 she is saving for one already. she even dumped her boyfriend because he drives a chevy and hates Ford's :)

·
Registered
219 Posts
There was some much joy the day my 7 year old daughter asked me if she could help assemble my new motor! She loved it and now brags to her friends that she built the motor in Dad's race car.

Now she (at 10) and her 8 year old brother ask me to take them to day camp every day I can. They trade off sitting int he front seat and getting to strap on the four point harness.

Getting kids involved in just about anything is such a remeberable and learning experience for them and you!

Joe P.

·
Registered
5,417 Posts
HMMM, My 2 girls were afraid of SWMBO`s vert when it 1st came home. now they`re begging to get in it ::
My 7 YO wanted to drive it around in the yard last night

·
Registered
607 Posts
I know the exact feeling.

Little Flora next door comes right in and always asks "Why are you doing that?" - she is so cute and bright-eyed (BTW, in my neighborhood you are a peasant if you mow your own lawn, working on a vintage Mustang may be a notch or two below “illegal immigrant gardener”).

I just smile. Flora, sweetheart, I'm fixing this old car because I am a masochist, I like dirt, grease, cut up knuckles, metal flakes in my hair, carcinogenic chemicals on my skin & in my lungs, and on the newly painted floor. I'm too cheap to pay someone to do it and know better than to trust them, and this change is the last one I intend to do (HA!) – nothing else can go wrong on this 37 year old hunk of Detroit iron, because I’ve already replaced every single thing on it, somethings two or three times already - can't beat 60's technology!!!

Oh, she says with a smile. Bye Uncle Ken!

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Kind of embarrasing but my 2 1/2 and my 4 1/2 yr old girls have named my Vert "Chitty" after the obvious movie. Those of you that have seen it to remember the part when [censored] Van Dyke goes into the garage to come out soon after with a running car...My girls wonder why it isn't like that in real life. "Daddy, is Chitty finished yet?" Whew, talk about the pressure :: .

1 - 14 of 14 Posts