Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My next step is paint. Now do I keep the black factory color was Raven Black. The repaint was Earl Schibe gloss black.
What color is yours and do you have a favorite color?

·
Registered
35,460 Posts
Go with the Raven Black.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
I'd do original black as well unless, as previously said you were striping the car a starting from scratch, then you could much more easily change color. Then there's the quality of your body work to consider - the darker colors don't do a good job of hiding sub par body work.

·
Registered
8,047 Posts
When I did a full resto on my 66 back in 97, I was up in the air about the color. As I stripped the numerous paint jobs off, I found the original silver blue and it was enough for me to keep it that way. I only changed the type of paint to BC/CC. It still looks great after 18 years of abuse!

Go with what makes you happy. Me, I like the original colors.

Mark

·
Registered
15 Posts
I would stick with the original color too. If you ever want to sell, it is better to be in original color. Someone painted my Mach1 white in the past and its' original color was Black Jade. But I'm too cheap to get it repainted.

·
Registered
5,131 Posts
paint it any color yo want so long as its black

·
Registered
3,256 Posts
If black was my original color I'd gladly go black again. It's an easy color for touch ups for scrapes, bruises or dings. Very easy to blend.
Interesting. I have heard black is difficult to match, but I am not a painter.

·
Registered
35,460 Posts
The repaint was Earl Schibe gloss black.
Before you run Earl down too much, my "other" car was painted by Earl Scheib of Cincinnati in 1964, got the "Deluxe Oven Baked" finish in Goldwood Yellow. When I had it changed back to the OEM Harvest Gold in 1987, it still looked pretty good. BTW, the "oven baked" really was cured by heat lamps in a special room. The job cost $200, which today would be $1700. My Dad pulled all the chrome before it went down. Not bad considering they had to paint the dash, too.

Then thing to watch out for at cut rate auto paint shops is preparation. When a painter is wielding a spray gun every day, he gets pretty good, even at a cheap shop. At the factory, Mustangs were painted with the doors and trunk lid already on the car, open. Think about painting the jambs, and the edges of the hood and trunk lid, right next to the skin of the body, which of course was also being painted. Dang!

The cut-rate shops typically fall down on prep. I've seen "quickie" paint jobs where they didn't even clean the car first, and painted right over dirt.

·
Registered
470 Posts
I'd stick with the original Raven Black. It's gorgeous on our cars! Personally, I think Raven Black with red GT stripes on the lower rockers is an unbeatable color combination! It's striking, classic, and even contemporary!

·
Dimples
4,647 Posts
Color is in the eye of the beer holder, so that's up to you.

As far as process, it would be easier and cheaper if your door jams and trunk are already black to stay black on the outside. Most cars don't need those areas resprayed when the outside needs it. At least, that was the case with mine.

·
Premium Member
1966 Mustang Hardtop 289 4 Speed
5,869 Posts
Interesting. I have heard black is difficult to match, but I am not a painter.
Yeah I heard all the stories before I became a painter. 99.999999999999999% are hog wash for a good painter. I should clarify, I'm not saying I'm one of those guys but I've worked with some of the best. When I was new in the trade, I always remembered how folks said silver was one of the hardest to paint. In actuality it was no different than any other color. The biggest factor was quality materials and quality of equipment.

·
Registered
3,548 Posts
My 67 has a mis-stamp paint code on the door tag. The code doesnt exist. The buck tag says its Wimbledon White. The car is currently Wimbledon White but Inside the fenders its Springtime Yellow.

Im going to paint it Silver Blue, which was not a 67 color and get rid of the black interior for a blue/white interior.

To each his own.

·
Registered
3,980 Posts
Call it what you will, but unless black has a metallic in it, it's black. The cheapest paint to buy with more than twice the bodywork required to make it look like anything other than doo doo!

Reactions: C6ZZGT
1 - 17 of 17 Posts