Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a 68 coupe about a year ago and I so far I have redone the ignition, suspension, all electrical, brakes, and I have taken out the 302J and put in a 302HiPo from a 94 Cobra. The body and frame is a bit rusted (which is my next step I think). I wanted to put in a new tranny as well, but I need help on which I should do. Any help would be appreciated, in fact, if you have ANY ideas, comments, concerns, please let me know.

·
7,013 Posts
Manual...A nice T5 would work.

Automatic...AOD-E/4R70W would be nice.

Can you tell I REALLY like overdrive in a street car. You can get away with having a good rear axle ratio (say 3.55 to 3.73) and still have excellent drivability and a great top end on the highway.

Phil

·
Registered
431 Posts
No advice but it would be nice to see teh progress.

·
Registered
4,897 Posts
'94 Cobra, should be a Tremec, shouldnt it?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Tremec.. probably... Honestly I'm quite new to this and I was told by a friend it was HiPo. I am sure it was out of a 94 Cobra though. As far as the T-5 tranny, I'll look into that since it's currently an auto (gag) and I want to make it manual. I am planning on taking it to the track now and again if you didn't pick up on that with the stuff I listed already. thanks for the advice, keep it coming. I would really like to benefit from all of your experiences so I don't have to make the costly mistakes. =)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I really can't see how to reply to specific posts so I'm posting where I can. I appologize for the erratic places I do manage to get a response in. Oh, no pics yet, but I will get some once I get back to Hawaii.

·
7,013 Posts
probably... Honestly I'm quite new to this and I was told by a friend it was HiPo. I am sure it was out of a 94 Cobra though
'94 Cobras all got a 5.0 rated at 240 HP. This was 25HP more than the base 5.0. I don't think they used the HiPo term in the advertising...but I really don't know.

Phil

·
Registered
6,163 Posts
94 Cobra engine is the same as 95. They are not referred to as Hi-Po, they are just Cobra engines. They do have more horsepower then the base 5.0. The 240 HP rating was just that, a rating. I think they actually made more horsepower than that. I have a cobra engine in SWMBOs car was a factory install, so I don't know if it was a slip or if they had some extras in 94 that they wanted to get rid of. they run pretty good even with an automatic, she has 3.27 gears in her car though. Most of the SN95 bodies had 2.79s

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I would rather go manual just because I like the feel of one better. BUT, I can't decide on a good one, I've looked on the fordracing site but I don't see anything that I could get to fit in my 68 for a decent price.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts