Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A couple questions:

The tops of my fender aprons where the fenders bolt on are a bit wavy. Should these surfaces be flat?

The top of my radiator core support bends in slightly toward the firewall. Should the top of the core support be straight?

·
Registered
35,829 Posts
Smooth them out by hand as best you can, put strip-caulk on them and install the fenders.

The top of the radiator support should be smooth and straight, with perhaps some slight waves and scratches from the tooling. Oddly, repros are usually better than OEM in this regard.

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
On the core support, I should have asked if the face should be straight. If I put a straight edge from hood bumper to hood bumper, should the radiator support be straight or curved?

·
Registered
35,829 Posts
Wouldn't take much to fix that.

·
Registered
4,277 Posts
On the core support, I should have asked if the face should be straight. If I put a straight edge from hood bumper to hood bumper, should the radiator support be straight or curved?
It should be straight. I had the same issue for almost 40 years on my 65 and earlier this year I decided to straighten it. I pulled the radiator out and disconnected the wiring harness for the horns that runs behind the top of the radiator in the channel of the radiator support. I then put a piece of 2X4 inside the channel (fit perfectly!) that was longer than the bent in section. I then backed up my truck to the front of the Mustang and hooked up a Come-A-Long to the hitch and the other end to the center of the 2X4 where it matched the center of bend. I then cranked the come-a-long a few times and I could see it pulling the radiator support forward. I did it a few times as once you stop and remove the cable, the radiator support relaxes inward in the direction it was bent. I went slow as I didn't want to end up pulling the support too far forward. Worked out great!

·
Registered
7,008 Posts
Those top flanges on your fender aprons look like they need a little gentle massaging also. That peak zone where the 2 fender aprons join may actually be the correct height. Before you do tweak on those, lay your fenders up on there and see if the fender flanges correctly follow the aprons. I would guess that they won't exactly and the gaps will show up. That tells you where you need to do a slight adjustment on the aprons. You should be able to adjust those by hand or at most with a wood block and some gentle tapping with a hammer. I had to do that on mine too. They should have a smooth line with a slight downward arc from back to front and not dips like your photo shows.

While you are working on those, it would be advisable also to lay some kind of straight edge crosswise spanning from apron to apron to make sure they are still level with each other on both sides. Otherwise you'll have some odd issues with the hood laying flat and level with the fenders.

I tried all kinds of things to get my old core support back straight. It had a flexing pop dent on one side that popped in and out almost at will and I could never get rid of it. The more I worked on the thing the worse it got. I finally fixed it. I put a new one on there, LOL.

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
First effort was a ratchet strap between the core support and my F150. It pulled it out but it popped back in as soon as I released tension.

I ended up bolting a 2x4 across the front of the core support and putting bolts in every hole. As I tightened the bolts it pulled the core support out flush with the 2x4.

Two places on the top cracked.

Im not going to be able to do a lot with the wavy.

I messed around with a piece of 2x4, I think Im going to shape it to the contour of the top of the core support and place it inside the top of the support. You cant see it and it will keep the support from bending back in and help with some of the waves on the top. Not the way I want to fix it, but the only other alternative is to replace the support. That may happen down the road but not at this stage of the game.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts