Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • May's Ride of the Month contest ended with a tie! Go to this thread to vote on the winner! VOTE HERE
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Where did you buy a sheet metal punch? Do you like it? ballpark price? Any other info is appreciated. TIA

·
(actually Slim Jr now)
24,597 Posts
McMaster Carr has online catalog. I got my Greenlee sheet metal punch from them.
Around $20-$30

·
Registered
3,443 Posts
We use "Roper-Whitney" hand punches in the shop here

·
Registered
524 Posts
Roper Whitney is the best hand punch. I am a sheetmetal worker and have 3 or 4 of them. Since I am in the office now I don't use them much anymore. I still have my dad's that he purchased back in the late 50's or early 60's and it still works great.
You can buy a cheap one from Harbor freight if you only need it a couple of times.

Ductman

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Hmm... what size hole do you need?

I say that because I have a set of hole punches that only went to 1.5 inches, and I recently needed a 2.25 inch hole. I bought a Makita metal hole drill bit and actually like it's results better than the punches! You may want to consider drilling instead...

-Rory

P.S. The bit was expensive, but man did it make a nice hole! :shocked:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I am mainly going to be using 1/4 to 3/8 holes to practice plug welding and doing some sheet metal work later on. Thanks for the replies

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
To replace my floor pan, I used a DeWalt 3/8ths inch flat faced drill bit to remove the old spot welds and to drill holes for plug welds. Worked better than the spot weld cutter I bought (it self destructed after a dozen or so welds) and was under $10.

Good luck,
-Rory

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
napaguy said:
I am mainly going to be using 1/4 to 3/8 holes to practice plug welding and doing some sheet metal work later on. Thanks for the replies
+1 for the Roper-Whitney. I used it for the exact reason you're looking for one. It was quick (especially when I need multiple holes), and when the welds are ground down and primed, they look pretty darn close to a spot weld!

·
Registered
10,599 Posts
+2 on the Roper Whitney. You want the #5 "Jr" hand punch. It retails for about $80 in places, but Mcmaster has it for $55. I got mine off eBay for $25 a couple years ago and I see them on there all the time.

Roper Whitney #5 on eBay

The Harbor Freight units are a copy of the RW #5 and the quality is marginal at best. The #5s we have at work are 30+ years old and are in perfect working condition.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts