Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm adding power steering and rebuilding the front and rear suspension on my '66 vert next weekend. I have 225/60R14 tires on 14"x7" Styled Steel Wheels up front. The tires barely rub the A-Arms now (slightly noticable mark on the tire after 8 months.)

My Question: will the Shelby A-Arm mod. help or hurt this situation? I really don't want to change front tires again, so I may skip the Shelby mod. if this will be a problem.

BTW, I will be using 447# 1" lower coil springs, 1" sway bar, and I'm using the basic kit from Canadian Mustang.

Thanks.

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
Its only going to help out your rubbing problem on the control arm.

The coil springs could in theory rub, as you're lowing the car, but I doubt it will.
If you're rubbing on the control arm, I don't think the fender clearence is an issue for you.

·
Registered
3,047 Posts
What offset / back-spacing the wheel has?

·
Premium Member
773 Posts
Some people consider the Pro-Motorsports Negative Wedge kit a must when doing the Shelby lowering.

Some tire people say you must have this kit when using 16" tires and rims. I believe the kit moves the spindle out just a hair (giving you more room between the tire and upper arm).

When you do the Shelby lower it places the upper balljoint at a different angle. Under certain conditions it can bind (or break). Shelbys had cables (!!) on the suspension to prevent this from happening.

Since you have it all apart anyway, why not upgrade?

BossBill

·
Registered
3,047 Posts
I have one inch drop which is as much as you can go without wedge kit, but I haven't noticed any problems with 14 inch wheels. And I don't think you should have. But who knows, just discovered that I might have non-65/66 spindle.

·
Premium Member
773 Posts
Ya, with 14's things shouldn't get that tight at the A-arm.
However, with every inch in diameter you go up in wheel size, the backset goes toward the A-Arm a bit:

14 3.75
15 4.00
16 4.50
17 4.75

Of course the reason for the addtional backset is the increased width of the rim.

I think the 14 spec is for steel wheels. The rest are alloys. I thought with alloys that the backset was the same as the 15's. If mags are used one should measure.

Although the neg wedge kit may not be required for tire clearance it makes the car much better through the twisties. I've driven a few and it is remarkable.

I'm curious as to what spindle you have. I'm still trying to find the number of the guy with 71-73 drum brake spindles. These are the beefiest, except for maybe the Granada disc setup.

BossBill

1 - 8 of 8 Posts