·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
FYI, It's just been released on Netflix. The name of it is "Shelby American"

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
Also on Netflix is "The 24 Hour War" about Lemans. Some overlap with "Shelby American" but also very good.
As mentioned in a previous post watching "Shelby American" up to the point where the GT 40s come in can be a good primer to seeing Ford vs Ferrari, especially for the uninitiated like SWMBOs.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Nice! My wife and daughter are headed out of town for a week and I’m building my “home alone” playlist. This will be added.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Documentary showed the internal politics imposed by Ford throughout the venture to gain the first Le-mans victory. Nothing like 11th hour decisions by Ford heads that cost the team the next day. But you saw the superb creations from these Shelby & Ford team engineers while meeting their critical timelines. What pressure. Endurance racing was a different beast than just going fast all the time.

·
Registered
230 Posts
After watching both Netflix documentaries and the Ford vs Ferrari movie, I really felt like I was born 30 years too late. What an awesome time!

·
Registered
9,476 Posts
I never considered what it must have been like for Shelby to be involved with the Lemans racing team, the Shelby Daytona team, building Shelby Mustangs and building Cobras to sell all at the same time. Sheesh! Apparently, he decided to give all that up and put his efforts into collecting ex-wives.

·
Registered
927 Posts
I liked both the Ford vs Ferrari movie and the Shelby American documentary. But the documentary was BETTER! Also watched the 24 hour war and liked it too, but by then it was getting a little redundant after seeing that part of the story a 3rd time, but it was still very good.

·
Registered
3,924 Posts
My father clearly remembers that era, and we talk about it often, I was just a kid then. Seeing those brake discs glowing cherry red on the GT40's at Mosport and other races, with that same pic of the red-hot discs captured on the cover of a local newspaper's magazine weekend feature, and seeing the 350-400 horsepower Shelby was getting out of the race prepped 289's in 1965-66, was what led Dad to tell my old school farmer grandfather how he was planning to get a Mustang in '67 because "if a 289 in a GT40 with around 400 hp survives like that for 24 hours, than a detuned 225 hp version should last forever in a Mustang..."
The thing I find most amazing, is the old school definition of man-sized solid brass gazonga's that those drivers had, what with driving 200 mph+ on the chicane-less Mulsanne straight with rock hard 60's era tires, no real roll cages, fuel tanks that were a known hazard, and aerodynamics that conspired to make the car fly.. as in right off the track. Not to mention all that with darkness, fog, rain.... there is a reason lesser wusses and mortals like me have mere day jobs.

·
Registered
747 Posts
Thanks for sharing. I enjoyed the documentary. Just imagine if Ford and Shelby gave up after the first two attempts at Lemans? Would there be a SVT or Ford Performance division today? Would the Shelby brand be what it is today and possibly shut down in 1966? Amazing story really.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I just watched it over the last two nights. I love those Daytonas.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
13,011 Posts
I never considered what it must have been like for Shelby to be involved with the Lemans racing team, the Shelby Daytona team, building Shelby Mustangs and building Cobras to sell all at the same time. Sheesh! Apparently, he decided to give all that up and put his efforts into collecting ex-wives.
you have to pick your your poison.

Z

PS: divorce quotes:

Willie Nelson: ". Q: why is divorce so expensive ? A: Because it's worth it."

Rod Stewart: "...Instead of getting married again, i'm just going to find a woman i don't like and give her a house..."

Carroll Shelby: " I was only married 7 times. The Mexican one doesn't count, does it ?"

·
Registered
21 Posts
I watched it a couple of weeks ago. I thought it was very well done. As some have said, I was born a little too late to enjoy that era...Although I am trying to make up for it with my '66 and my '08 Shelby GT vert...

·
Registered
3,924 Posts
Proof that we can't accurately foretell the future.... when Shelby said, "Just drop those old Daytonas into the English Channel, not worth the shipping back to USA". I know the old line about the value of last years race cars, but still... wow.

·
Dimples
3,677 Posts
That was great! Watched it yesterday and it was wonderful to see and hear all of those old legends in their own words. What a banner year for 60’s Shelby/Ford racing fans, eh? We’ve gotten some quality entertainment in the last few months.

With all the things Shelby was doing, they didn’t even mention the Trans Am coupes. Man, that guy was busier than a two-peckered billy goat.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts