Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've found an expensive wooden steering wheel that claims to be an "NOS" F.I.V. steering wheel that Shelby American offered as an aftermarket upgrade specifically for the 1967 GT 500 and it states it was listed in the 1968 Shelby American catalog. Does anyone have any information to help understand whether this is describing something plausible?

Does anyone have any copies of the Shelby American late 60s catalogs that might confirm the offering of a wooden wheel made by F.I.V. before they went bankrupt?
(their horn adapters on their early offerings were bad and started fires)

·
Registered
36,551 Posts
I'm not sure what they'd be upgrading. The 67 Shelby came with an exceptionally nice wood wheel standard. Here's the high-dollar reproduction-

The original 67 Shelby wheels I've worked on had a problem, the hubs were epoxy filled. If the epoxy cracks you can lose horn wire continuity. Replacing them is a pain, but can be done.

The really scary part is working on a wheel so exotic that the repro costs over two grand. First thing I do is completely wrap the wood rim to prevent any possibility of scratches.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts