Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • May's Ride of the Month contest ended with a tie! Go to this thread to vote on the winner! VOTE HERE
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to understand the current morass that SAAC, C. Shelby, et al are embroiled in. I think a little history would help clarify how all parties arrived at their respective positions. Can anyone shed some light on the beginnings of SAAC? Wasn't their another Shelby Club (Shelby Owners Club?) that was the object of a (hostile?) takeover by SAAC? Maybe the current events are a case of history repeating itself, like what goes around comes around...

Were there several national Shelby Clubs in existence simultaneously?

What events led to SAAC being the big fish in the Shelby world?

When did this split between SAAC & C. Shelby begin? Was he really excluded from contributing any input on the way SAAC was ran? If so, that would seem a fatally shortsighted policy of the SAAC leadership.

Would love to hear from some of the "granddads of the Shelby world" who lived some of history behind our current events

Z. Ray

·
Registered
6,807 Posts
Only based on what I recall or have been told!!!

zrayr said:
I'm trying to understand the current morass that SAAC, C. Shelby, et al are embroiled in. I think a little history would help clarify how all parties arrived at their respective positions.
Good luck with understanding things when people, history, and such are involved (known and unknown)

Can anyone shed some light on the beginnings of SAAC? Wasn't their another Shelby Club (Shelby Owners Club?) that was the object of a (hostile?) takeover by SAAC?
I was not involved with the club at the outset. My understanding that it began like most clubs but was changed, by the board to a corp so that the officers would be paid for their time and so that the people overseeing things did not change from year to year.

Were there several national Shelby Clubs in existence simultaneously?
Yes ... but with not allot of success (measured in membership) Kind of like the national Mustangs clubs that have come and gone over the years SAAC and MCA have maintained and become the big kids on the block. Often these other clubs came about as an alternative or from ex-members of the larger group.

What events led to SAAC being the big fish in the Shelby world?
I would say that it was a combination that they did a better job of advertising, giving owners what they wanted (they did have the first road events - started at the Calif regions I believe) and obtained access to the old/original records of each Shelby.

When did this split between SAAC & C. Shelby begin? Was he really excluded from contributing any input on the way SAAC was ran? If so, that would seem a fatally shortsighted policy of the SAAC leadership
I have no idea and would not agree with the conclusion you drew. Not sure what that "input" would be nor would I expect that many national clubs accept allot of input from their related car companies. I know that many of the ones I've have been involved with did not other than donations and sponsorship.

As always .... just an opinion ;)

BTW ... what number is your car? The wife has 6S1203

·
(actually Slim Jr now)
24,597 Posts
It's intereting to me that often history, even US history is controversial. Sort of a
who shot John, he said she said! By coincidence JFK was assasinated the year before
intro of the Mustang. Many millions were spent to determine what really happened. Many
people still don't believe the conclusion drawn by the investigation.

·
Premium Member
14,208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Jeff_Speegle said:
BTW ... what number is your car? The wife has 6S1203
Jeff, I've got 1117. Do you have any of the early history for 1203?

Z. Ray

·
Registered
6,807 Posts
zrayr said:
Jeff, I've got 1117. Do you have any of the early history for 1203?
Yes has a basic understanding of the very history where it, along with a green, red and a couple of carry-overs cars, went to Peyton Crammer when he left Shelby.

Peyton got turned down for a Ford dealership (Chevy did and it became the equivalent of Yenko for the Western US) and opened Dana Chevrolet instead. After that it was returned to Shelby and was resold through the system.

From that point history and owners become fuzzy until I meet the owner in 73 (so only a few years are missing) of course that owner's stories were full of it (as often owners stories are) I bought the car from that kid about 10 yrs later.

·
Registered
6,807 Posts
slim said:
It's intereting to me that often history, even US history is controversial. Sort of a
who shot John, he said she said! .........

Yes and it's interesting to see that many accept things just based on how it is presented (sold) to them and refuse to accept other things.

Oh well

·
Premium Member
14,208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Jeff_Speegle said:
slim said:
who shot John, he said she said! .........

Yes and it's interesting to see that many accept things just based on how it is presented (sold) to them and refuse to accept other things.

Oh well
yes, oh well. It's hard to let go of the idea that one can't learn enough to make sense of it all. But sometimes you don't have the luxury of knowledge. This seems to be one of those times.

Z. Ray

·
Premium Member
5,242 Posts
This is a small part of what all you're asking, but I was a member back in '76 or so in Colorado. The club had just started the year before in '75. I don't recall there being any "hostile takeovers" of other clubs at the time.
As Jeff stated, there have been a few small, and mostly unsuccessful other Shelby clubs, but SAAC had the knowledge (and knowledgeable individuals) along with the drive to gather and archive "all that was Shelby" (and yes, self-promotion) making them the only "real" organization most Shelby owners wanted to ally themselves with.

·
Registered
9,844 Posts
Here's my perspective.

At first (mid 70s) it was just a group of enthusiasts, most on the East Coast. Got members via word of mouth, Snakebite bulletin and meets.

Through a lot of work and research they got their hands on the original invoices for 65-67 Shelbys - most if not all of them. At the time Carroll didn't care much about the original Shelbys so he let the club "borrow" the paperwork. This information was VERY valuable and they were the only people with it. That coupled with the first Shelby registry really gave them a lot of exposure.

While the club has made some bad decisions I still think that overall they busted their a$$ to do a lot of research on these cars that otherwise would never had made it into the public eye. I realize that they don't share it freely but I can certainly understand why.

While Carroll certainly has a legal right to his name and paperwork it seems to me that he should acknowledge the value that the club has added to the Shelby Mustangs and cut the club some slack. Sadly that does not seem to be true.

·
Premium Member
14,208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
68RCodeConv said:
Here's my perspective.

At first (mid 70s) it was just a group of enthusiasts, most on the East Coast. Got members via word of mouth, Snakebite bulletin and meets.

Through a lot of work and research they got their hands on the original invoices for 65-67 Shelbys - most if not all of them. At the time Carroll didn't care much about the original Shelbys so he let the club "borrow" the paperwork. This information was VERY valuable and they were the only people with it. That coupled with the first Shelby registry really gave them a lot of exposure.

While the club has made some bad decisions I still think that overall they busted their a$$ to do a lot of research on these cars that otherwise would never had made it into the public eye. I realize that they don't share it freely but I can certainly understand why.

While Carroll certainly has a legal right to his name and paperwork it seems to me that he should acknowledge the value that the club has added to the Shelby Mustangs and cut the club some slack. Sadly that does not seem to be true.
hopefully, some sort of forced arbitration will be imposed by a judge, and a middle path out of this madness will be found.

Z. Ray

1 - 10 of 10 Posts