Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
514 Posts
There was one prototype called lil' Red that was really hot. 428, special tuning, etc. Supposedly body-wise it kinda ended up being the prototype for the California Special. A few race coupes but no actual Shelby coupe street cars were made, unless you count the Shelby de Mexico cars that were coupes with special fiberglass c-pillar extensions which made them look like fastbacks. A few of these cars have made there way to the U.S.

65 Fastback 289 4spd in storage :-(
91 CRX Si... A.K.A. my go-kart with AC!

·
Registered
258 Posts
And don't forget the hundreds of Shelby Coupes made from the Ford of Mexico assembly line under a partnership with Shelby and Eduardo Velasquez under the name Shelby de Mexico.

Kevin Marti
Marti Auto Works
http://www.martiauto.com
(623)935-2558
http://martiauto.com/logos/logo_MAW.gif

G

·
0 Posts
The rules for Trans Am racing specified sedans. When Shelby had the GT 350 homologated as a
race car they took the back seat out and called it a sports car. The GT 350 raced in B production
class. The baraccuda and falcons and dodge darts and mustang coupes raced in A sedan class.
The Trans Am series grew out of the A sedan class.
In 66 some 20 coupes were prepared by shelby as race cars. In 67 Ford was into trans am
in a big way and even more were made all as race cars. in 68 just a few. They just looked
like clapped out sedans with wheel flares, numbers, TTD wheels lots of stickers and dents.
old magazines and the shelby club newsletter usually have pictures of them with what was
factory team paint themes. There is a 68 for sale in the shelby club "snakebite bulletin"
for 140K. ouch!.
There was also an in house 68 notchback independent rear suspension, fuel injected
vinyl roofed shelby thing called the green hornet. Cover "The Shelby American #63".
jimbo

M.C.A.# 50000
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1575692&a=11979474&p=43366578.jpg

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
What about the green '67 or '68 Shelby coupe used to prototype the independent rear suspension? I seem to remember seeing an article on it some time ago.

Rich
1966 Mustang GT convertible

·
Registered
6,807 Posts
Shebly fastbacks and sportroofs were often referred to as the "coupe " model in many publications and official documents.

In addition Shelby built a number of coupes (recieved no Shelby numbers so they were not considered Shelbys until more recently. These were built for Trans Am and international racing (often referred to as Group I and Group II cars) Rules varied but in general rules allowed only one area to be modified from stock and in this case it was the engine. Basically for 66-67 cars left the factory with pretty stock interior (R model gauges, roll bar and set belts) and exterior. Engines were R model mad built engines.

When ever I get my update to my site up it will include a bunch of uncirculated pictures and info on these cars. Had a friend who owned a 66 and a 6 until recently :(

Jeff Speegle
MCA Shelby Gold Card

Mustang & Shelby research, documentation, and help.
Where sharing with one .. means sharing with all

1 - 8 of 8 Posts