Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all.
This monday I took my Mustang for a drive to have a look at a 66 GT350H. As I live in Sweden they are not very common. At the Swedish Shelby registry there is a total of 5 66:s and one 65 (GT350, not only Hertz of course).

He has had this Hertz car since 1977. It has been in boxes since 1982. When he bought it the original engine was gone. He has got another K-code block, and most of the Shelby engine parts and accesories. The chrome Magnum 500:s was stolen from the garage and there is some rust on doors and front fenders. The body is blasted and due to humidity covered with surfase rust. It also need some welding but is pretty solid alltogether.

It is a lot of work to get it on the road and it will need a lot of new parts of course.

I've been trying to trade him my Mustang for some years now. He alway says he will continue the restoration soon.

Based on this brief information, would you trade this Shelby in boxes for my stock very nice driver Mustang?

BTW, it is the real thing, in the Shelby registry and all, White with gold stripes car.

Thanks for any input.

·
Registered
912 Posts
It really depends on what kind of car you have. If I is something special like, say, a BOSS 429, then I'd consider it, but otherwise, if I had a mostly original gt350h in my garage that I had the means to restore, there would be no way.

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
Ah, one of the most frustrating things is watching someone do nothing with a car for ten years because they have plans of restoring it "sometime."

I think that to trade a rust free (I presume the rust is superficial) Shelby albeit in boxes, but as rare as they are in Sweden for a stock FB might require some cash in the trade. (Here you can get a very nice FB for $7-10,000. A genuine Shelby - about $50,000).

What are shipping charges to get one from the U.S. to Sweden?

·
Registered
288 Posts
I doubt an even trade would be possible for a standard Mustang. A factory GT or Boss car might get you a little closer, but even then some cash will probably have to be involved. A factory GT Fasback will reach the mid 20's, in the same condition a real 66 Shelby would go for better than double in most markets.

·
Premium Member
5,293 Posts
Even though you describe a fairly solid Shelby, it still sounds like you'd have a lot of work to do to get it back on the road. Are you up to it? Depending on how you value your fastback, and what you'd have to spend getting the Shelby done by someone else, it may not be a real "deal." But, '66 Shelbys are rare IMO anywhere, so it's certainly something to think seriously about.....Good luck ! Dickson

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for your replies,
now when the Shelby owner seems determined to keep the car I don't have much choice but to keep on asking him to trade or buy. I got rather close to my car. I have all history on it and spoken to most of the previous owners including the first one. That said, I'm not sure that I'll do the trade but I take that decision when/if I get the opportunity.

There was an white/gold GT350H on E-hay the other day, reserve not met at 34K. I'll probably be better off selling my car and buy one in The States. But it is fun to restore and you can spread the cost, plus you know what's done with the car. I think shipping would be in the 1000-1500 range.

Thanks for your thoughts and I'll continue to hassle the Shelby guy and see what happens.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts