Vintage Mustang Forums banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Those pictures are very useful Nos681. I was trying to compare them while the 65 spindles were still on the car, and the looked pretty close. That pic confirms they are pretty close. It may be possible to tweak the steering arms a bit, to get closer to the 65 position. I'm removing my old spindles today, and will try to get some measurements of the difference.
Thanks man.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Oh, just noticed they are Granada, not 67 Mustang. Are they the same as 67 Mustangs spindles? I don't even know what an American Granada looks like. We had them, but pretty sure ours were a totally different car.

·
Registered
20,222 Posts
Oh, just noticed they are Granada, not 67 Mustang. Are they the same as 67 Mustangs spindles? I don't even know what an American Granada looks like. We had them, but pretty sure ours were a totally different car.
The geometry on the Granada is the same as the 67-73 Mustang. The 70 & later spindles are stronger, bigger axle pin. The Granada spindle is basically the same forging as the Mustang spindle. The only difference is the size of the bolt holes for the caliper brackets. I'm thinking the Mustang uses bigger bolts. If that is the case you could retrofit the Mustang calipers on the Granada. The advantage is a wider selection of brake pads.

Personally I wouldn't worry about bending the tie rod arms. As a novice I have my car driving very well. If you drove my car I don't think you'd notice I have the "wrong won't work" spindles. In fact for road racing 70 and later spindles are used due to their superior strength.

Do a search for "Applejack" he was a member here a long time ago. He's a good friend of Shaun Burgess who is the owner of www.streetortrack.com he is a engineer at GM I believe or was. He was doing a lot of track testing for Shaun. Anyway he had posted bump steer graphs on his 65 Mustang with different spindles and modifications.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'm reviving a project that's been setting for a number of years. 65 FB w/302 and c4. Installed 70 disc brake spindles, calipers, outer tie rods. Also the Shelby drop and much shorter 620lb springs. Running 215/60R14's on TorqueThrusts. Rollerized spring purches, Scott adjustable strut rods. KYBgas shocks and a healthy sway bar. Hasn't been on the ground yet in this configuration, but soon. Sitting on jack stands, it looks like there is a lot of toe in, but no alignment done yet. What issues should I expect, if any. Surprisingly wheels fit without rubbing calipers. Sounds like some of you have this or something similar figured out. Suggestions for alignment specs would help.
Look forward to hearing from you.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
You'll be fine with the alignment set to Daze or Opentracker specs, but you can't put too much caster into it. The 70 spindles which were made for a wider car than the 65, will give you more Ackerman, which helps in turns.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Billet-brain
I installed the Granada spindles back in early 90’s to replace the front drums.

25+ years without Shelby/Arning drop and Mustangs Plus front and rear suspension package ( 620#,5 leaf mid-eye, 1.125” front sway, 3/4” rear sway, KYB GAS-a-Just...recently removed rear sway due to oversteer).

I had 235/60/14 on Cragar 14x6.5”...
back spacing was not ideal at 4”.
(4.25-4.5” would have been better)

Car was factory 4 wheel power drums and power steering. I never had issues with slow speed/parking with Granada spindles.

Recently performed upper control arm drop and it drives so much better. Kick myself in butt for not doing it in past.

Follow advice about alignment specs as suggested too.

·
Registered
10,065 Posts
I'm reviving a project that's been setting for a number of years. 65 FB w/302 and c4. Installed 70 disc brake spindles, calipers, outer tie rods. Also the Shelby drop and much shorter 620lb springs. Running 215/60R14's on TorqueThrusts. Rollerized spring purches, Scott adjustable strut rods. KYBgas shocks and a healthy sway bar. Hasn't been on the ground yet in this configuration, but soon. Sitting on jack stands, it looks like there is a lot of toe in, but no alignment done yet. What issues should I expect, if any. Surprisingly wheels fit without rubbing calipers. Sounds like some of you have this or something similar figured out. Suggestions for alignment specs would help.
Look forward to hearing from you.
when I installed my 76ish Granada spindles I also used Granada adjusting sleeves and outer tierods you may want to do the same ,cept using sleeves and rods to match your spindles,
I have 620's with a half loop cut off the UCA drop homemade adjustable strut rods
Toe is 1/8" in
caster is around 3.5-4ish positive
camber is negitive 1.5ish
19990440_10214106245798983_6655359780988543097_n.jpg

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Thanks for the advice.
I have now done the Shelby drop, and have almost finished my own disc brake conversion. I will post pics and details when done.

Billet-brain
I installed the Granada spindles back in early 90’s to replace the front drums.

25+ years without Shelby/Arning drop and Mustangs Plus front and rear suspension package ( 620#,5 leaf mid-eye, 1.125” front sway, 3/4” rear sway, KYB GAS-a-Just...recently removed rear sway due to oversteer).

I had 235/60/14 on Cragar 14x6.5”...
back spacing was not ideal at 4”.
(4.25-4.5” would have been better)

Car was factory 4 wheel power drums and power steering. I never had issues with slow speed/parking with Granada spindles.

Recently performed upper control arm drop and it drives so much better. Kick myself in butt for not doing it in past.

Follow advice about alignment specs as suggested too.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts