Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey smart people,
I was feeling pretty proud having taken the leap and drilling the holes (with template) for the Shelby drop. That went well but when i went to put on the new arms I noticed that there is a metal flange on the side of each new hole (pic attached) that will keep the nut from going all the way down. My only thoughts are:
1) cut a flat edge to washers and use them to build it up until it’s level with flange
2) grind down those flanges (they don’t exist where the original holes were). If I go this route I have no idea what to use to grind them down.
All feedback is appreciated!

Attachments

·
Registered
10,102 Posts
At Global we used the air-powered cutoff tool.
In the home shop I've done similar stuff with a Dremel and the reinforced cutting wheels. (#426)
Get the 5-pack, at the very least.

ex-Global West GM
1991-1995

·
Registered
36,494 Posts
I've been there a few times. I use a wrench. Typically the lip flattens out when you begin to torque the nut. If it hesitates, smack it with the ball end of a ballpeen hammer to get it started flattening.

Reactions: gt350sr

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
I found those flanges when putting the nuts on, but fortunately didn't bleed on the car. Everything tightened just fine without any grinding.

·
Registered
4,004 Posts
I just tightened the bolts down, no grinding.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts