Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • May's Ride of the Month contest ended with a tie! Go to this thread to vote on the winner! VOTE HERE
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5,674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been debating this mod for my '68 GT S code coupe. In looking at the inside of the towers it appears that the drop will put the lowered holes at the edge of the strengthening plate welded to the inside of the shock tower. Believe these are original as all sheet metal date codes are correct and it does not appear to be added.

Anyone run into this issue??? Or have a photo of a drop on a '68 S body with these stiffeners? Doesn't seem right to have the new holes at the edge of the plate... :confused:

·
Registered
212 Posts
You're correct that you shouldn't just drill two holes below half-way off the reinforcment plates. I would add more material that matches the outline of the reinforcement plates so that once you drill the new holes it looks like the existing photo. Just chamfer the mating edges at a 45 degree angle, fill-in the gap, and grind smooth.

Vic

·
Registered
7,761 Posts
Yep many of us have the same problem. I just bolted mine up and didn't worry about it. Others have tried to make a 1/2 washer or something.

This is very common and not just on S-Codes.

·
Registered
12,309 Posts
Also ran into it. I just bolted it up. The washer hung over the edge with mine i believe. I'm pretty anal, and it didn't bother me the way it was.

·
Registered
4,670 Posts
Many have done it without a problem. If your willing to send some cash you could install the new TCP upper control arms that has the drop built into them. Slick way of doing the drop without drilling new holes. Check them out on the link below.

http://www.totalcontrolproducts.com/upper.html

1 - 6 of 6 Posts