Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am test fitting my new rear panels on my 70 sportsroof. I got these from Branda and Mustang Unlimited. My question is, do they always line up so bad? I have looked at a bunch of 69-70 Shelby pictures and it seems there is a fitting issue with most of them as well. Anybody out there been down this road before? It seems you can get one side to look good, but I am looking at like a 1/4" offset on the other side. Any help or comments would be GREATLY appreciated. My bodyman is going to sh*t his pants when he sees this!
Dave

1964 fuelie Corvette (restored)
1970 Sportsroof (project)

·
Registered
6,782 Posts
The guy who painted my car is finishing up a 67 Shelby. He stated that the quality of the original parts (particularly the quarter panel caps) was horrible and he had to considerable work to get them to fit/line up properly. That is my $.02 and Good luck.

Steve Leslie, 65 coupe in restoration. 302, toploader, A/C, disc brakes, bench seat

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1571478&a=12535662&p=46267978&Sequence=1.jpg

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
We worked on a 68 a few years ago and the fit was rotten. Especially on the upper rear deck. A lot of extra filler and time finally got it to look right but I understand that to be par for the course.

http://usn.tripod.com/mustang.GIF

"Sometimes a man's life can depend on a mere scrap of information."-The man with no name

·
Registered
5,205 Posts
Yeah, all those fiberglass parts need a lot of fitting and work to look right. Mustangs Plus always has that disclaimer on ALL of their fiberglass

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This problem is not unique to Shelby fiberglass endcaps. I had the same issue with front and rear metal fender extensions for a 70 Mach. After trying several, I ended up using small amounts of filler in the necessary places to make a nice fit.

1970 Mach 1, soon to be finished, 351 4V, Calypso Coral, top loader

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So it seems I'm not alone in this dilema. It would be some sort of miracle if I could do something the easy way. I doubt that will ever happen. Oh well, even mislaligned, it still looks cool as hell! When it's over it'll be worth it.
Dave

1964 fuelie Corvette (restored)
1970 Sportsroof (project)

·
Supporting Vendor
3,961 Posts
The fenders and hood on our car are glass, and fit like Poo-Poo!!
It turns a nice car into a 50-footer. It must be very hard to make
the stuff because it's a complaint I hear a lot. You pay a tone
for the stuff and it won't fit? What's up with that?

It's not a Windsor!http://home.earthlink.net/~myradpc/_uimages/turn4.JPG

·
Registered
5,205 Posts
Fiberglass is not an exact material and is very difficult to cut accurately every time.

You'd pay TWO tones for it if the factory were to cut the fiberglass down to the exact specifications on the excact usage for the car you want to put it on.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts