Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,690 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well i got my shelby fiberglass stuff in today. decklid and endcaps also the taillight panel all of it is for a 68. how exactly does the taillight panel install does anyone have pics of the installation. thanks andy

·
Premium Member
4,928 Posts
They basically screw on....but I'm guessing your looking for more information then that. Do you have tail lights for the panel? You looking for info on where to drill/cut out the socket holes? What exactly are you looking for?

·
Administrator
19,506 Posts
Here you go:

http://www.tucsonpony.com/tail3.jpg

http://www.tucsonpony.com/tail1.jpg

You will have to punch out holes in the stock taillight panel so that the fiberglass bodies will fit.

·
Premium Member
2,690 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
well i am using the 67 shelby taillight panel on my 68 because i already have cougar taillights so i dont think i have to worry about drilling socket holes i am not sure where the screws go that mount the panel also what else do i need besides the cougar taillight assemblys.

·
Premium Member
2,690 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for the pics laurie i just went and temp installed a couple of pieces on the car car will go to the body shop on monday the 11th of august so they can fit and paint the pieces

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
why are you using cougar taillight setups?? the right ones that FIT that Shelby panel are from a 64-5 T-bird. You may have some fabrication in front of you to get those Cougar lights to work with that panel.......

randy

·
Premium Member
2,690 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i thought 67 shelbys used the cougar tail lights i know this is what mustangs unlimited sells for the 67 i thought 68 used the thunderbird tail lights.

·
Premium Member
4,928 Posts
That is correct...67..cougar 68...T-bird So do you have a rear panel for 67 or 68? Because the lights are indeed shaped different. There should be like 6 tabs on the top that you drill and screw...and if you look at lauries pic. on the bottom of the panel you have a tab on each end (1 screw) and 2 wider tabs in the center put 2 screws on each side of each tab. You'll never see those anyway..(bumper covers) If this still doesn't make sense...E-mail me and I send a finished pic for you...

·
Registered
562 Posts
If you want to use the '67 Shelby Style taillight panel with the '67-'68 Cougar lights, you have some more parts to buy and some cutting to do. On the '67 Shelby’s, there is a large rectangular section that needs cut out of the taillight panel for each light housing. This is because '67' lights sit more flush than '68's. You'll have to get someone with a '67 Shelby or clone to measure the holes and location for you. There are steel boxes that rivet to the taillight panel in the trunk area that cover the holes (you may be able to use these as a template for the rectangular hole on each side). The taillight housings then bolt to the boxes, and then the lenses and trim bolt on. It is kind of a crude set up. The '68 set up would be much easier for you to install since the taillight buckets bolt to the fiberglass taillight panel and then the panel just screws to the metal taillight panel. If you really want the '67 style, you have some crafting ahead of you. Go to www.cobranda.com. They sell everything you'll need including the metal taillight boxes. Good Luck!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts