Vintage Mustang Forums banner

Shelby GT500 for Wounded Warrior Project

5K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  halojm 
#1 ·

If you find yourself near Jupiter, Florida, you’re not far from one of the greatest Mustang collections the world over—Jack Miller’s renowned Mustang Barn. The expansive ‘Stang assemblage includes 69 of the legendary pony cars, most of which are of seriously high performance caliber.

This red, white, and blue 2011 Shelby GT500 is one of that family, but it won’t be for long. Jack Miller, also the founder of the Miller’s Ale House restaurants, has announced he will auction off the Shelby with all proceeds going toward the Wounded Warrior Project—an association that this Mustang wears proudly.

“I have 69 Mustangs, but this Mustang and the charity auction, means a lot to me,” said Miller in a statement. “It goes beyond the automobile; it comes from my heart. It’s for the soldiers.”

In 2012, Miller purchased the Shelby GT500 at the Barrett-Jackson auction, which had toured over 15,000 miles and stopped in each of the “Lower 48” states where it was signed by veterans, family, and friends. Around 2,000 handwritten notes span the car, from heartfelt “thank yous” to “God Bless our Troops,” and two are said to be from football legends Joe Namath and Dan Marino.

It’s a heartwarming display of national pride and support for those who serve…and it also happens to be one truly potent Mustang. Underneath the hood of the GT500 lies an aluminum 5.4-liter supercharged V8 that pumps out 550 horsepower and 510 lb.-ft. of torque. Shift work is handled by a six-speed manual. It’s not a car to be taken lightly.

“The support being offered by the Miller family is remarkable,” said Steve Nardizzi, chief executive officer at WWP, in a statement. “We are extremely grateful for their generous donation, which is providing us with the critical resources that we need to honor and empower Wounded Warriors, and make an impact in the lives of the veterans that we serve.”

The eBay charity auction began on October 16 and will conclude on the 26th. The flag-emblazoned Shelby remains one of the final cars in search of a home as the Mustang Barn sadly closes its doors at the end of the month.

Read More Here: This Shelby GT500 Goes Big for Wounded Warrior Project

See less See more
#2 ·
Not too excited about WW and the news these days.
Stan

#3 ·
#4 ·
Yep, WW is definitely on the wrong track, which is a shame because it is both needed and started out with the best of intentions. I've given them several donations over the years, but won't anymore. From here on out I'll donate to the Navy/Marine Corps Relief Society.

#6 ·
Wouldn't they make more money by auctioning off a car that isn't fugly? I never got the idea of building a patriotic flag themed car/motorcycle to make money for a charity. Just because the charity is patriotic doesn't mean the car has to be red, white and blue instead of one, properly chosen, solid color.

#7 ·
And they don't help out Vietnam, WWII, Korea, etc.
Stan

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.