Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I am mounting my hood pin kit on my 1966 Shelby GT-350 clone and I just wanted to know if anyone knows the specs on where exactly the cables are mounted inside the grill. It looks like I can either rivet them in somewhere or use existing screws. Anyone??

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
I have a real 66 Shelby and my lanyards have a big eye on the end and are attached right back on the hood pin itself. The car came this way but that does not mean much. From pictures in books I have it seems that the lanyards may not have been original equipment or it might have varied by car so I think a little creative license is allowed here.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Mine are attached to two screws that hold the radiator in. Seems like as good a place as any. One thing I would not do is add a hole for this. There are plenty of places to attach them to already there.

Mark

·
Premium Member
3,295 Posts
All the 65 and 66 GT350s had NO cables. They didnt start putting cables on until 67. I restored the first 66 001 and have the 3rd to the last one here right now 2371 (20,000 actual miles! - in for a tuneup!) and have restored 20 in between. They all had no cables when they came in and none when they left. Im sure they blew off enough hoods to warrant the cable expense by 1967

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Good info. The only real Shelby's (65-66) I have ever seen had the cable. I guess they were added on by owners somewhere along the line. You learn something new every day.

·
Registered
9,991 Posts
And, just in case someone with a 67 is looking, the lanyards were riveted to the top grill bar, out near each end. 1/8th" rivets.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts