Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Toying with the idea to replace the hood on my 66 fastback to one with a shelby hood scoop. I always wanted a car with a scoop. Where would be the best place to buy one? I understand they are fiberglass, has anybody had any problems installing or driving with them? Any pro's or con's?? Paint match should be easy since I have relatively new paint on the car.

·
Registered
5,458 Posts
Here is what I had done. Fiberglass with a full size opening to the inside. Also, I have a cold air setup I am working on. I get a lot of positive comments plus I really like the looks. I was like you, just wanted one so I put one on. Got it from Mustangs Unlimited as they were the lowest price at the time. Mine was just the scoop added to the steel hood.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It does look good. However I don't think I want to go to the truoble of cutting and installing a scoop on a metal hood. Seems easier to just replace the entire hood.

·
Registered
580 Posts
The problem with glass hoods is the poor fit. By the time you get the sloppy molding worked to fit good, you could have just installed the scoop on a steel hood. Unless you can be happy with a poor fiting hood they are not plug and play. Plus you save the cost of buying the whole hood. MHO

Lstar

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
From what I've heard and read on this forum, molding a fibreglass scoop onto a metal hood might crack after a while. Bolting on one may be a bit better but also, I've heard incompatibilty issues.

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
i bought my fiberglass 65-66 shelby type hood at carlisle from branda. about 375.00. it has the steel reinforcement all around. maybe i was very lucky but it was excellent in every way.remember for this fiberglass hood you would need the lightweight springs for the hinges.

·
Registered
8,120 Posts
My hood is from Branda and has the steel reinforcements. The fit was good ::
http://www.mustangmods.com/data/6079/front2.jpg http://www.mustangmods.com/data/6079/side2.jpg

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well after reading the posts and past threads, it looks like I will have to do more research on the subject of glass hood vs. hood scoop on metal. Branda appears to be my best choice if glass. I read they are at Carlisle, which I will try to make this year.

·
Registered
4,082 Posts
You can get a bolt-on scoop that fits really nice. That's what I use, can't remember where I got it from :naive:

·
Registered
5,458 Posts
The shop that did mine has had others on some drag cars that have not cracked in over 5 years. I know that they went real wide on the glass work and used all the best products. If interested, e-mail me and I will get more info. I just was not interested in the quality of the hoods when I looked into the glass hoods.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts