Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Auto legend Shelby to work with Ford again

DETROIT (AP) — Ford Motor will partner again with automotive legend Carroll Shelby to build high-performance vehicles, 40 years after the two first joined forces to create cars like the highly collectable Shelby Mustang.

Carroll Shelby helped Ford on the 1968 Shelby Mustang GT500.
Wieck

Shelby, an 80-year-old former race car driver and creator of numerous collectable cars, has reached an agreement to work with Ford to develop specialty performance cars with more power and better handling — not to mention higher sticker prices — than standard models.

Ford was scheduled to announce the deal Friday. The automaker said specifics, such as the number of vehicles in the new Shelby program, would be disclosed later.

"Throughout my career, I've had the privilege of working with several manufacturers in the development of some great automobiles," said Shelby, who raced his first Ford-powered vehicle in 1952. "But my energy and passion for performance products has always been strongest when it involved a vehicle from Ford."

Shelby and Ford cooperated on numerous racing and performance-vehicle programs in the 1960s, including the original Shelby Cobra, the Ford GT40 and the GT350 and GT500 Mustangs. The first Shelby Mustang debuted in 1965.

Art Spinella, president of CNW Marketing Research, said Shelby is one of the few names in the automotive business that's recognized in some capacity by nearly every age group.

But it resonates most with those between 45 and 55, who likely were familiar with Shelby-designed sports cars of the 1960s, Spinella said.

"That's good news for Ford because those are the folks who have the money these days," he said. "If you're going to build an expensive performance car, Shelby is the kind of name you want to put on it."

Most recently, Shelby served as a technical adviser to the team that designed the Ford GT, the automaker's newest high-end speedster that goes into production early next year.

The 500-horsepower Ford GT will feature a supercharged 5.4-liter V-8 engine and a price tag of roughly $130,000. The car is modeled after the Ford GT racers that finished in the top three positions at the 24-hour endurance race at Le Mans in 1966.

Shelby, who lives in Las Vegas, farmed chickens in Texas before racing his first car in 1952 at age 30. Seven years later, he won the famed daylong race at Le Mans.

Shelby and Ford began partnering on cars in 1962, and in 1965 Ford hired him to lend expertise to the GT40 racing campaign. His 1965 Shelby Mustang GT350 had a 289-cubic-inch V-8 engine that produced 35% more horsepower than the stock Ford engine.

Ford began using the "Cobra" name on the Shelby Mustang in 1968. Ford ceased production of the cars in 1970.

"This is a bigger deal for Ford than it is for Carroll Shelby," said Jim Cox, owner of the Branson Collector Car Auction in Branson, Mo. "Anything with the Shelby name on it is going to attract attention."

·
Registered
9,844 Posts
Guess I better sell my 67 GT350 while it's still worth something. When all these new Shelby Mustangs start hitting the market, mine will probably start to depreciate. :)

·
Registered
823 Posts
I doubt that any old Shelby will depreciate if a "new" one hits the market. In fact, you may see an increase.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Guess I better sell my 67 GT350 while it's still worth something. When all these new Shelby Mustangs start hitting the market, mine will probably start to depreciate
I'll be more than happy to take that worthless GT350 off your hands. How does $995 sound? :)

·
Registered
391 Posts
Too bad I can't afford the new "signature" cars. Not like the original Cobras and Shelbys that were only a slight premium above a regular car when they hit the streets.

I'm afraid it is just a play for magazine space for Ford and targeted at a few wealthy people. Like I have $130K for a new GT40. Even the Cobra Mustangs are a real stretch for most people.

Just my opinion. Not in the same train of thought as the affordable car envisioned and brought to life by Henry Ford.

-BS

·
Registered
7,671 Posts
"If you're going to build an expensive performance car, Shelby is the kind of name you want to put on it."

I think the above says it all....

·
Premium Member
7,773 Posts
If the Shelby Dodge Omni's didn't hurt the value of your car, these sure as hell won't.

-bob

·
Banned
5,578 Posts
Too bad I can't afford the new "signature" cars. Not like the original Cobras and Shelbys that were only a slight premium above a regular car when they hit the streets.
Well, if something like twice the cost was a "slight" premium.

Personally, I think it's all about the money. If I really wanted an expensive modern sports car, it wouldn't be a Shelby.

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
I would have to check out the performance on one of those things (that is, if they ever get produced.). But, I really wouldn't be amazed if a "New Sheby Mustang" would cost more than a SVT Cobra and have less performance. All you'd be buying is the name. I would rather purchase a SVT Cobra and make it into a "New Shelby Clone" ;)

·
Registered
9,780 Posts
OH OH!, that guy making those delightful Elesnore cars might see a decline in sales. Tough choice, $130,000: new GT 40, New Shelby, Old "C" code fastback with a big price tag. What would you choose?? \
I might have to out my REAL GT 350 on Foolbay to come up with the down payment.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
It's unlikely that he would do a new Mustang, as Salen has this pretty tied up. No, Ford is using this for marketing, what with not being able to us GT-40- any more, just GT. Could see his name tied in with this. By the way, this is not new news, Mustang Monthly had a snippet in about 4 years back that he was in talks with Ford then, after they cleared up the use of the name " Cobra"

·
Registered
391 Posts
I paid over $3900 for my 70 Mach 1 with a 351c, FMX, A/C, P/S, P/B, Am radio and convenience group.

The Shelby GT500 with lots more goodies that was sitting on the showroom floor was priced at $5000 drive out. Hardly twice the price

I was too youg with a new job to swing the credit for the Shelby. I love my Mach, but sure wish I had the Shelby.

-BS

·
Banned
5,578 Posts
Sorry, I should have said twice the price of the base model. Certainly less than twice of a more optioned model.

That also sounds like something of a discount on the Shelby price... I have a vintage 1967 ad for a new Shelby listing at $5500.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Hey 66_Pony. Didn't mean to be so abrupt with my comments on pricing. My point is really simply that all this stuff appears to be a money grab. IMO Mustang pricing for any model today no longer relects the relatively inexpensive cost of owning the early models. I guess they are priced by what the market will bear, but I would like there to be a little more size and substance to the cars. And I don't just mean another cup holder and a power seat.

BTW, I checked out your bio. Figures two software guys would discuss these issues. The picture of Warren Spahn is great. He was born in a small town in Oklahoma - a couple of hours from where I was raised.

-BS

·
Banned
5,578 Posts
I agree completely!

Actually, Spahnie was born in Buffalo, NY, but he grew up in OK.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Didn't know Spahnie was born in New York. Guess the adults didn't want us kids to know that he was a New Yorker. Not a lot of positive comments about New York in my circle of acquaintenances when I grew up in Oklahoma in the 50's and early 60's. In fact, there is still not a lot of positive comments about that part of the country when I visit home.

Of course, Mickey Mantle was my hero. I wore #7 and played center field when I started out. The Braves were in that "other league". My dad was a Cardinals fan, but I always followed the American League.

-BS

·
Registered
971 Posts
Hey, Guys shelby teamed up with Ford Because GM decided it wasn;t for them , I'll beat they are kicking them selve;'s now.
And if he had teamed up with GM, Ford May never have been near as famiuos as they are today in the racing circle's
Lets all be thankfull Ford had the sense to team up with the man they Call SHELBY !

1 - 20 of 20 Posts