Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 67 coupe has the origional six cylinder springs under the front end and the 351W is bringing the front end down pretty low. I want to replace the front springs now. My question concerns the shelby mod to the upper control arms. Does doing the shelby mod lower the height of the car and how much. If i do the shely mod, do I still need drop springs? Which is better to do? I hear the shelby mod helps ball joing angles. I drive my car in hard, but on the street, occasional strip. IT has 15x7 wheels with 235/60/ r 15 tires. Help!!

·
Registered
4,991 Posts
You can always drill the hole and lower the arms. If you don't like it you can simple relocate the arms back to the stock position.

yes it wioll lower your car but not a full inch. To answer the tire fit question it would be best to know the back spacing of the wheels.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
In fact, in terms of "ball jiont angles", the shelby drop makes for more severe angles and potential for ball joint breakage. However, I suspect you will find that most respond with favourable comments and no negative problems -- provided you don't exceed 1 inch. More than that and you'll need special wedge shaped shims or aftermarket upper control arms.
What the shelby drop does do is significantly improve movement in camber as the wheel moves up during hard cornering. You will definately notice the difference and I say "do the drop".

- Gord
ps. If you do a search you'll find all of the information you'll need and more!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts