Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi , I went to the Roundup in Bellevue, WA last weekend.
Plenty of nice cars around.
I got a question for ya all,, I saw that about half of all Shelby's
had a crome horseshoe like trim piece around the exhaust cut outs in the rear valance. Does anybody know where to find those pieces? My thinking is that as it seem to be almost impossible to find a good fitting dual cut out rear valance, I can cheat a little.
By using the above mentioned horse shoe piece I could cut out a standard valance and kind of hide the sharp edges with those pieces.

·
Premium Member
4,928 Posts
Tony...you can buy the GT rear valance with the cutouts. and just trim the edges with chrome door edgeguard....I had my car there....should have stopped and said "Hi".

·
Registered
9,991 Posts
If you saw half the cars there with these cut outs chromed, maybe they were all 67 Shelby's (early ones too!)
Shelby took the 65/66 Gt rear valence outlet chrome and cut the bottom half off to fit. You cut it below the side mounting bolts that are built into the chrome trim. This ended on the 67 Shelby's after somewhere after car # 750

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanx for the info,so now I can build my own GT valance..I had been thinking of how to nicely cut a good fitting standard valance and get a nice transition,,I belive that the 65-66 chrome pieces are available repro..

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ken had I known I would have,,I never know who you guys are,,I haven't met anyone but Dean,,well next time I'll make sure to find you,,it would be fun to meet

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I assume that a rear valance from 65/66 will NOT fit on a 67? Or am I for once lucky? There is a 66 GT valance NOS right now on the *bay site

·
Registered
562 Posts
I think here is a pic of the rear valance with the cut outs on my '67 that you are speaking of.

http://gallery.mystang.net/data/media/93/shelby.jpg

Rod is correct. All you need is a stock mustang rear valance and some 65-66 GT exhaust trumpet trim rings and you are good to go. The trick might be locating them properly in the valance. Good luck! ::

·
Registered
9,991 Posts
Hey, who's EARLY 67 is that in the photo? What number is it?

·
Registered
562 Posts
It was mine up until Dec 2001 when I traded it for my '68 GT350 Convertible. It was as about as early as they come; #0004!

http://gallery.mystang.net/data/media/77/shelby14.jpg

·
Registered
562 Posts
Yeah, yeah...That's what my wife said until I let her drive the convertible. It helps that it is a factory 4-speed with 3.89:1 gears. I couldn't help myself. It has been my dream car since I was like 14! Take care of #0036. ::

1 - 12 of 12 Posts