Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone else recently purchased a 68 shelby roll bar?

We received one that really sucks! The base of the roll bar doesn't fit in the plastic end cap. It's like they didn't put enough padding around the bar so it leaves a big FUGLY gap where the bottom of the bar padding sits on the side panel. Also there are two seams under the bar that have silicone glue peeling off and looks like the covering might easily peel off.
The plastic side panels that go with the roll bar are also very flimsy. They don't fit over the original side panels at all! The edges are uneven, unfinished appearing and have gaps where they should lie flat.
There is another guy in our club that is making a Calif. Special convertible and using the 68 roll bar also from the same and only vendor of these things. His is even worse!

We called the vendor and they act as if it a normal appearing bar. YUCK!
We hate to send it back because it seems to be "just the way it is!" A replacement could be no better or even worse.
And we thought this vendor was supposedly the best. Extremely disappointed!
J.

·
Registered
236 Posts
I know exactly what you mean. My dad and I spent 3 days fitting our rollbar for his KR convert, man they do suck!!! The downtube is bent the wrong way!!! We ended up welding in the main piece at the tips, then putting the downtube extensions on and welding them separately. Oh yah we did all this after we had one side welded in, fitting perfectly, the realized we had to cut that side loose in order to get the other side to fit. YES THEY ARE A JOKE!!!
TOM

·
Registered
3,482 Posts
Joyce, My '66 has an original bar in it so I can't say I've installed one of the reproduction bars, but I've talked to someone recently that had similar experience with their bar. Their bar wasn't the proper width for the car. My original fits into the oval opening (after opening it a bit larger) at the base of the side. His was too narrow to do that, and he mounted it to one side. I suspect it contributed to his gap.

"The base of the roll bar doesn't fit in the plastic end cap. It's like they didn't put enough padding around the bar so it leaves a big FUGLY gap where the bottom of the bar padding sits on the side panel."

I assume you're talking of the ovoid-triangular cups that trim the bottom of the rollbar where it meets the interior quarter panel. On the installation I saw, it was badly done with a gap. Could cutting the bottom of the rollbar tubing to lower the bar into the car a bit help eliminate the gap? and Could the bottom of the foam and skin covering need to be trimed at a different angle to properly match the bottom cup (it may not need to be much of a angle change)?

Also there are two seams under the bar that have silicone glue peeling off and looks like the covering might easily peel off.

Even on my original it looks scarily likely to peel

The plastic side panels that go with the roll bar are also very flimsy. They don't fit over the original side panels at all!

The only part of the orinal side panels you retain is about the top few inches of the textured metal panel. That is retained in order to hold the inside felt strip against the window. A special bracket straddles the window crank to provide center support to the new panel. An extension (~3-4 inches) was attached to the original window crank hub. I have a drawing of that inner support bracket if you need one.

The edges are uneven, unfinished appearing and have gaps where they should lie flat.

I had to use reproduction inner panels as well, and they weren't the greatest being fiberglass obviously molded from a worn and likely wavey original, but they were.... close, and better than nothing. I trimmed a little and covered the exposed metal to make the gap less noticable.

·
Premium Member
4,928 Posts
Yes Joyce....thats pretty much the way they come. Mine was terriable too...A lot of dremmel tool work...once the panels are fastened they don't seem as flimsy..What do you mean about fitting over the original panels? old panels should be removed... the panel at the window edge needs to be cut off.....
Could cutting the bottom of the rollbar tubing to lower the bar into the car a bit help eliminate the gap? and Could the bottom of the foam and skin covering need to be trimed at a different angle to properly match the bottom cup
Thats exactly what I had to do..... and I thought the tough stuff was the fiberglass on the outside of the car! ::

1 - 5 of 5 Posts