Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
65 Mustang Convertible
1,754 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My desire is to stay NOS. That said, after looking for NOS fastback Quarterpanels, my best price is about $900 per Quarter.
At that price what is everyone's opinion about using a high-quality reproduction quarterpanel? I can really use that extra $1200 (both quarters) on other parts and repairs.
I talked with some Shelby owners at the Knott's show, and some of them had cut and spliced in pieces of reproduction sheet metal. What is the difference?

You're just jealous because the voices only talk to me!!!
66 200 3-spd Coupe - emberglo, daily driver
65 289 4-spd Conv - Rangoon Red (what else)
66 Shelby - Red and Ready to be Restored

G

·
0 Posts
Typically repro sheet metal is a little thinner and more prone to re-rust a lot faster than NOS tin.

·
Registered
10,287 Posts
How good do you want your Shelby to be?

If you are going full out on everything else you might as well go NOS on the 1/4's. Just my opinion.

When you are asked if the quarters are original you can say "not original, but they are NOS at a cost of $1800 for panels" :)

If you are going driver grade then I wouldn't bother with NOS panels

Paul
1965 Mustang 2+2
1989 Mustang GT Convertible
MCA #27261
MCA certified judge for 65's and late models

·
Registered
205 Posts
From what I've seen, high quality reproductions are getting better, but you can still see a wide variety of problems depending on the company, batch, etc. I've even had NOS parts that are not made/stamped correctly. I'm starting to think that the effort and skill of the person doing the replacement is what matters most. Dont be afraid to ship them back and order from somewhere else if they dont look right. Try to purchase in person if possible.

·
Registered
5,527 Posts
I put repro skins on my 67 and repro patches on my 66, and I would say they're okay. The one difference I noticed was the wheel lip makes sharper turns with the OEM/NOS panel than the repros do.

I also agree that the skill of the replacement outweighs the quality of the material in this case.

/forums/images/icons/blush.gifClick here to see free live bare topless Coppertonecam images./forums/images/icons/blush.gif
/forums/images/icons/smile.gifMy new 64 1/2 vert/forums/images/icons/smile.gif

·
Registered
65 Mustang Convertible
1,754 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the input guys. There are vendors out there now claiming that their reproduction pieces are as good as the NOS (laurel mountain and others).
Maybe I'll order a pair and check them out.
Maybe PonderosaMatt has some good ones.

You're just jealous because the voices only talk to me!!!
66 200 3-spd Coupe - emberglo, daily driver
65 289 4-spd Conv - Rangoon Red (what else)
66 Shelby - Red and Ready to be Restored

·
Registered
7,671 Posts
Get a coupe or conv. Ford quarter.... Much cheaper than a fastback. Cut at the body line and butt weld. Ford quarters fit better around the wheel lips, taillight panel, and door jambs.

Required tools for operating a Vintage Mustang:
1. Duct Tape
2. J.B. Weld
3. B.F.H. (Big Fat Hammer)
4. VINTAGE MUSTANG FORUMS II
[color:red]VIEW ALBUM:</font color=red> http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumIndex?u=1616948&a=12352157

·
Registered
189 Posts
A AMERICAN made factory hot rod with repo panels. Don`t do it. Get the N.O.S. while you can There is nothing better than factory ford, i have a 65 fastback that i saved form the scrap heap and it has both n.o.s. quarter panel along with n.o.s. fenders and hood and it has no where near the value of a shelby. Stay original and you will not regret it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts