Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Incorporated Sell Out
17,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't think the shelby tail light panel is mounted correctly in my 68. When I am looking in the trunk there is almost an 1 inch wide by 16-18 inch long gap at the bottom where I clearly see outside to the ground. This gap is hidden behind the bumper so you can't see it from the outside. I am thinking when it was installed someone might have forgotten a gasket or something....see photo for clarity.

Obviously with that gap....it is very easy to smell like 'car' after only a few miles.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Sorry to say, and remember I am not a pro.

That looks like a standard mustang tail light panel that was cut to accept the shelby tail lights. It looks like the workmanship wasn't too good. Lucky there are replacement tail light panels to make things right..

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Yes, I recall there just being a round hole for the inner bulbs, and the outer vertical slat removed for the outer bulb.

If you end up painting & replacing it, check out the dynacorn steel 67 Shelby taillight panel.

·
Registered
5,674 Posts
+1 on the mis-cut. As noted, there should only be the vertical "bars" between the exising 67-68 lamps removed, and then two holes each side about 2-3" in diameter cut out of the panel.

·
Registered
5,674 Posts
Shots of an original '68 Cal Special. Not a Shelby expert, but I think the install was pretty much the same. Only one of the bars removed on the original panel, not both...

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
That wasn't my doing, the previous owner had those installed before I bought it. I think a universal rubber gasket around that area behind the lense housing will seal it, worth a try.

·
Registered
35,846 Posts
That wasn't my doing, the previous owner had those installed before I bought it. I think a universal rubber gasket around that area behind the lense housing will seal it, worth a try.
Ah, guys, he has the 67 Cougar-style lamps. They require a lot more cutting than the 68, with the Thunderbird lights.

·
Registered
9,992 Posts
If you are using 67 Cougar tail lights, you might have to also install the 67 Shelby tail light support boxes. Branda sells them. And, with the Shelby-like tail panel, you have to seal around the entire tail light panel and also the 4 (if these are there) studed tail light panel mounts. These are on each side if the tail lights, well, on Shelbys they are. Seal both top and bottom. And, beware; Exhaust will seep in around the gas cap if that area is not also sealed off but on the real ones, the tail light panel stud mounts close that off.

·
Incorporated Sell Out
17,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
This is a gap between the fiberglass panel and the body. I suspect when they lights were installed someone bought an aftermarket fiberglass panel and simply cut out the old metal one resulting in the gap. Aint no gasket on earth gonna seal that I will have look into making something up to close if off.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts