Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • May's Ride of the Month contest ended with a tie! Go to this thread to vote on the winner! VOTE HERE
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone used the taillight panel and LED light kit from Mustang Project on a 69? If so, how well does it fit/work?

Thanks,
Mace

·
Registered
182 Posts
I haven't used their taillight panel, but I used the Shelby-style LED sequential light kit on a '67. It worked perfectly and was very bright. The nice thing was not having to cut up the car's steel taillight panel to do the Shelby-style light mod. The LED assembly is thin enough to fit between the fiberglass panel and the original steel one.

If I were to do it again, I'd probably buy the LEDs from them and get the fiberglass from Stang-Aholics. Who knows where Mustang Project is sourcing their fiberglass and there is a HUGE variation in quality out there.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Mace said:
Thanks Pete. You did a magnificent job on that one by the way.
Thanks, but the car they're on isn't on the road yet! The red 'vert you're probably thinking of had the plastic Scott Drake Shelby-style taillight setup, which I will never use again. In the end it looked great and worked great, but it sure took some doing.

The car with the LEDs is a customer's car in Phoenix that will be done sometime this spring. I did the front & rear suspension and other chassis stuff and guided him through the installation of an '04 Cobra motor with a T-56. He's building most of the car himself and it's absolutely amazing. '67 Shelby clone, blown 4.6, T-56, full cage tied into a Heidt's coilover MII front end, IRS from a 2000 Cobra R, 13" Wilwoods all around with 6-piston calipers up front, and on and on.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sorry, my bad.

If I go with the Shelby taillight panel on the '69, I do prefer the one similar to the '67 where the gas cap is in the middle of the panel as opposed to the license plate. Mustang Project's is like this.

I was re-reading the article on the red 'vert you built and you stated that the use of a Heidt's IFS was "out of necessity". What is your first choice for suspension components? I've been reasearching and asking questions about suspension components, but the more information I get to process, the more confusing everything becomes.

Thanks again,
Mace

·
Registered
182 Posts
Mace said:
I was re-reading the article on the red 'vert you built and you stated that the use of a Heidt's IFS was "out of necessity". What is your first choice for suspension components? I've been reasearching and asking questions about suspension components, but the more information I get to process, the more confusing everything becomes.

Thanks again,
Mace
There's no easy answer to that question. The necessity for the Heidt's MII came from needing room for the 4.6 DOHC. That's not to say that's the only reason to go with a MII setup -- everything has its place.

There is a dizzying array of front suspension choices out there as you have learned. The simple fact of the matter is that most of them are great upgrades from stock and you will not be unhappy with any well-received kit from a reputable manufacturer. People tend to argue until they're blue in the face about mathematical ideals that exist at 10/10ths where 99% of drivers will never go. While they're on here endlessly debating you can be out there enjoying your car.

Here's a huge generalization from my point of view:

I like the Heidt's MII for two main reasons: 1) It's a great value if you can do the install yourself, and 2) You can get a giant engine compartment if you need it.

I like the RRS strut & brake kits. They're expensive but you get what you pay for -- very well engineered and built. You can also get more engine compartment room by notching the shock towers since there's no UCA.

I like the TCP coilover kit. It's a time-tested design and they keep making generational tweaks to make it that much better. For example, the new dropped UCA pivot shaft makes it unnecessary to re-drill your shock towers. Very sturdy and reliable stuff as well.

Feel free to call or email me if you'd like to chat more about the options.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts