Vintage Mustang Forums banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
It was such a pleasure to have those of you who came to the Autobahn Country Club Joliet for the Northwoods Shelby Club Autobahn Gran Prix this past weekend. The weather was beautiful both days, and the few who did show up for the Lunch Time On Track Tour got ALOT of track time. I'm usually not on track in my racer for as many laps in a single session. In fact, the average touring lap times we did were (just about) 50% of my average race times. Everyone did a fine job learning the line.

So, here's the deal... I will organize this track event next year if 1)those of you who did show up this year each bring at least two buddies each with vintage (pre 1973) Mustangs to tour on track just like we did this weekend, 2)that these buddies each bring two friends to ride with them in their car while on track, and 3)guarantee everyone you tell that their faces will hurt from the permanent smile resulting from the above mentioned on track tour.

Hopefully we can turn at least one of you into a certified track junky!

You're a great group and we hope to see you next year. Thank you for the Club T-shirt, what a wonderful suprise.

Best,
Henry V

p.s. please post your photos

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
styx281 said:
Made it out there today, I was the only "show car" there until Paul got there around 11. I hade to leave at noon and didnt get to go around the track (hopefully we will be invited back next year) I got there at 8:30 and watched alot of racing this was probably the coolest event I was ever at, watching those cars was awsome. Very nice place and setup. Do they do anyother events like this where we can go and watch? Anyway Beatiful day to take the car out for a drive and watch some HIGH performance cars go around the track. Oh yeah thanks to Roddster and Paul for relaying my plaque to me from the Berwyn show.
Damn, that sounds like a challenge...

I sure enjoyed my limited track time at Birmingham, wish I could have made this event. Looking forward to next year!

·
Registered
90 Posts
thank YOU very much for your hospitality and ridiculously cheap and fun track time. this was my 3rd time down there and i continue to be impressed with the people and facility.
also thanks for your time and guided tour of your race car.
i will be there next year and i'm trying to spread the sickness!

take care,
rick richter

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
styx281 said:
Do they do any other events like this where we can go and watch some HIGH performance cars go around the track?
Yes! The Northwoods Shelby Club has three track events each season. These include the Milwaukee Mile Event (Milwaukee, WI), the Road America Invitational Event (Elkhart Lake, WI), and the Autobahn Gran Prix Event (Joliet, IL). Please refer often to their website at www.nwshelbyclub.com for all the latest info.

There are other Shelby Clubs in the US that have open track events at many different tracks including Gingerman (South Haven, MI), Waterford Hills (Detroit, MI), Mid Ohio (Lexington, Ohio), Nashville International (Nashville, TN), Mid America Motorplex (Pacific Junction, IA), Hallett (Jennings, OK), Miller Motorsports Park (Tooele, Utah) just to name a few. There are also more venues on the east and west coasts for your spectating pleasure.

It is a ton of fun to walk the pits, see the cars, talk to the drivers and watch them run on the track.

So, have we convinced more of you to spectate (or even participate) next year at the Northwoods Shelby Club Events?

Best,
Henry V

·
Registered
3,502 Posts
Henry - thanks again for a wonderful day. I didn't get there until 11:00 as the swap meet at the speedway took longer to walk than expected. I think Doug and I finally left for home around 4:15.

The lunch time track tour / parade laps were a blast. I can't think of any way to have that much fun for $5.00. I was really impressed with how our new GT/CS handled. I most assurdly would like to go much faster around the track in that car. I'm still smiling from ear to ear this morning.

Everyone we met and talked to was just as friendly as can be. It's such a casual and relaxed atmosphere. I am hoping to find someone that may have taken photos of our group on the track. I think I will send a message to the Northwoods group. I took lots of great shots, but it is difficult to get one of yourself driving. :crazy:

There were only three of us at the event last year, so we more than doubled that this year (between Saturday and Sunday). I'll be happy to work with you to promote next years event and see if we can't really spike the groups participation level. It's just too much fun to miss.

Thanks again for your efforts to include the club and also for your hospitality!

·
Registered
306 Posts
Another event that I missed,but it wasn't all my fault. Left about 10 AM Sunday got as far as 55 and 53 with an accident at Weber Rd. Had to get off on 53 and saw the traffic going South and decided to go North. Not familar with Bolling brook so came back home. Sounds like a great weekend and I WON'T miss it next year. :(

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Just to tease you a little, there were over $500,000 worth of REAL Shelbys and Cobras at the Autobahn this past weekend. I expect there will be more (if not worth more) next year.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts