Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone who has done this, which kit would you recommend? (i want the simplest install possible). I want a very mild shift kit, since my engine is stock with stock gears.

i saw the B&M but they have a kit for 67-69 C4's and 70-82, beats me what mine is, whats the difference? (my engine is probably 1970 not sure on the tranny). My car is a 67

67 C4, (1971 302 block), daily driver.

·
Registered
10,587 Posts
Try here for a kit from TransGo

You can also try your local trans rebuilder; they may have access to a generic kit that is less expensive...I used one called a TransCo and it cost 9.95 back in 1994....

Pat
http://www.jps.net/binay/webdocs/strtmstng002_sml.JPG

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sometimes you get lucky and the id tag is still on the tranny. It's like 2" long. Post it if you got it. I'm sure someone can ID it. I agree with your thinking about not modifying it to the "full blown" state. For daily driving you might be better off with the "tow" modification.

·
Registered
392 Posts
When my '67 had the C4 I put in one of those $20 B&M shift kits. There was an improvement, but the tranny lost 1st gear a couple months later. I don't think the shift kit had anything to do with it, the tranny was self-destructing before I put the kit in. There were 2 stages you could install the kit as. I chose the towing stage or something like that (the lesser of the 2).

It was a simple install (drop the pan - messy - take out the valve body, move some things around, put in the new plate, bolt it back up, fluid). Just be sure to read the instructions. I did it when it was 20 degrees outside, but I was in my garage. Still cold though.

--------
Evan
67-5.0L
http://eyrules.com/mustang.html

·
Registered
206 Posts
I inquired about shift kits at a recommended re-builder. The guy I talked to seemed to know a sick amount about C-4 trannys so I thought his advice was likely dependable. He told me to stay away from the B&M shift kits (everyone has an opinion, I bet) and said that if I wanted to "improve" shift quality, the Trans-go was the way to go.
It was pretty easy to install (though i went and dropped the damned shuttle balls into my drain pan when I was draining the valve body....rrrrggghhh) but the shifts are MUCH crisper now and it's a blast to drive.
My only complaint was that Trans-go accidentally included the wrong instructions for the year of my transmission but they were great about faxing me the correct ones right away.
I'm planning on installing a pro-matic 2 shifter soon.

'69 coupe in the making

1 - 5 of 5 Posts