Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone tell me what a shift kit is, and what advantage there is to having one? I know this is a "newbie" question, but I'm pretty naive when it comes to transmissions. Someone told me once that I might have one installed, since my car will bang itself into second gear pretty hard under heavy or even medium throttle.

Thanks

68 coupe - Soon to be daily driver (I hope!)

·
Registered
145 Posts
I would like to add a 2nd question to this post. I have a C4 with about 7500 miles since it was rebuilt and it runs great. Last week a local tranny shop told me that I had to many miles and you should not install a shift kit in a used tranny, only in new or rebuilt ones. Is he correct???

·
Registered
3,395 Posts
i am by far no tranny expert but from what i do know from previous posts and stuff that ford transmissions were originally built with a shift pattern so that the shifts were supposed to not "be noticed" by the driver. The shift kit is changes certain springs and stuff in the tranny so that it shifts with a "chirp" style pattern. This is supposed to extend the life of the tranny. Like i said im no expert by no means, and im sure the other guys will have some better info for you

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
A shift kit firms up the shifts saving on heat and wear in the tranny. They come in various grades of intensity from just firmer to an all out, shift it yourself kit. I have the milder or towing kit in my 68 and love it. I'm no tranny expert, but I've never heard that you couldn't put a shift kit in at any time and besides 7500 miles is nothing on a transmission.

Ronny
68 Fastback, 66 Coupe, 64 Ranchero
Mustang Owner's Club of Austin, TX

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
A shift kit is just a few springs and balls that you replace the stock ones in your transmission with. The balls act as fluid blocks and the springs hold them in place till it gets up to the proper pressure and it releases, fluid flows and triggers the transmission to shift. The kit changes the speed it shifts at and the quickness of the shift itself. I see no reason why it would matter how old a transmission is.

Best advice i can give is be under do it if you do it at all, and don't ever go to the manual shift level on a street driven car.

Motor

1 - 5 of 5 Posts