Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6,911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK....got the shift linkage installed with a trimmed up bushing that fits the tranny (C4) arm very snugly.

From there, the linkage adjustment was a pain, but I believe I've got it. The tranny is a D5 and is a floor shift.....the backup light switch isnt installed.

The shifter doesnt quite go as far as I would expect it to. L1 is dead center of it's section.....half way between the L2 detent shoulder and the end of the shifter's range.

Up at the park area, there is a very deep detent and a shallow (1/8") detent before the reverse detent. It will go into the shallow detent which will hold the shifter in park.

In some ways, the complete lack of slop in the linkage is nice......I think part of what is messing with me is the slight binding friction of the old and obviously not lubricated shifter bushings that create slop in the shifter.......guess I need to replace those and lube the new ones to really get a feel for things.

It occurs to me that I dont want to adjust the linkage to one end or the other.....adjusting it in neutral which is near the two most commonly used gears seemed a better idea.

I figured some of our more experienced VMF'ers may have noticed the detents near park and have noted whether or not their cars have used this versus the deep park detent.

·
7,078 Posts
Uhh...I've been here since the old Courtave.talk days. Does that make me a more experienced VMFer?

I really don't understand what you're up to. What's a D5 transmission?

Phil

·
7,078 Posts
OK. Well if it's a '75 C4 you should still be using the same park detent...which is the first detent on the detent plate.

Phil

·
Registered
310 Posts
setting it in neutral is the best way to do it.. Park has the extra detent area to accomedate different variences.. so as long as it at least goes into the first detent you should be ok..

·
Registered
6,911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, I just installed the backup light switch.....aligned it with the tranny in neutral and the shifter disconnected.....

The reverse lights work as advertised (only in reverse) and the engine will crank in neutral and park.

Im going to keep an eye on her and see how things go.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts