Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well it locks in park, but it doesnt seem to lock in any of the other gears. When throwing it in Reverse or Drive I have to go on feel rather than anything else (light or lock).

C4 Automatic

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Also, in the manual it says that the dot with circle around it starts in 1st and goes to 2nd and 3rd. The dot with no circle is supposed to start in 2nd. But its just the opisite for me. The dot starts in 1st and shifts in to 2nd and 3rd when building up speed. The dot with the circle either starts in 2nd and stays in 2nd or starts in 1st but still doesnt come out of 2nd.

Whats up with that?

G

·
The June issue of Mustang Monthly has a how-to on fixing the shifter sloppiness.

As far as the green dot is concerned, it should shift 1-2-3 in the green dot position. The only thing I can think of is possibly the tranny or shifter bezel has been replaced sometime over the years. IIRC they changed things around in later years so the green dot wasn't in the same place for all C-4 trannies. Just something I remember reading somewhere (maybe here!). I could be wrong.

G

·
I just had the fn of installing a shift kit on my c4, so i kinda remember what it looks like around the valve body...When you put it into gear, does it stay in gear or just fall to the 1? also, the little dot one below N is supposed to be the dot that skips 1st gear.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It stays in gear, it just doesnt come out of 2nd. The dot w/o the circle starts 1-2-3 on my car, weird =/

What advantages do you get from a shift kit? Where could I order one?

G

·
I wish i could help more, but I dont really know what might be causing it to do that. I do know that on the side of the valve body there is a sliding bar w/ grooves on it. The shifter linkage runs to the driver side of the tranny (if you have a sideloader)then runs through the tranny. Inside, there is a small post that fits inside the sliding bar. By moving the gear selector, you move the bar. Other tan that, idont know what it might be...maybe someone w/ more experience can reply. As far as the shift kit goes, if ou have an auto. tranny, it creates a harder shift by changin up the way tranny fluid flows through the valve body. It's not that hard to install as long as you follow instructions and order it from summit or jegs or any other good parts catalog. Hope that helped somewhat...

·
Registered
5,196 Posts
Simple. Someone has installed a later model (67-up) trans or valvebody in your early model car. I did the same thing on mine to get away from the funky green dot setup.

Sounds like your shifter needs rebuilt also - simple deal. Or, you can try to find a 67-68 shifter - it will have the correct detents/pattern for your standard 1-2-3 valvebody.

PLEASE fill out your profile, so that we know a little more about your car / you.

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
Bob, AFIK the cruise night will be the weekend of the corn feed. Are you going to Iowa?

·
Registered
5,196 Posts
Yep, I did some checking - the cruise is the 3rd Friday of each month, so it will be the 21st. I'm going to Iowa for Corn Feed - OH WELL!!! The Winsteads cruise is Saturday the 22nd - I'll miss it too, I guess /forums/images/icons/frown.gif.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts