Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1966 convertible with unknown year auto trans. we are positive it is not the green dot valve body. car was originally 3-speed stick. should the shifter bucket in the floor pan be updated to match the trans valve body??

·
Registered
734 Posts
The Shifter Bucket just needs to be the 65-66 Mustang Automatic Trans. Type. It has nothing to do with the Valve Body. You will want to make sure the Shifter Mechanism coming out of the Trans Case is correct for Floor shift, and not later than 1969, as there was a Column Lock Arm added in 1970. IIRC.

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
my linkage is ok. my concern is the detents in the bucket under the shift dial. are they spaced different?

·
Registered
36,010 Posts
my linkage is ok. my concern is the detents in the bucket under the shift dial. are they spaced different?
No, the spacing is the same, but the "steps" are different, since normal drive in in a different place. You could use an early shifter, or, to avoid confusion, change to a 67-68 dial.

P
R
N

O – Drive
L

P
R
N
D – Drive

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ok...thanks david. i'll get a new dial. i don't think the linkage is adjusted properly as it won't 'lock' into park and the button on the side of the handle is stuck or the cable is broken. time to tear it apart & see what i got.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts