Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own a 67 with an auto trans. I need to install a new shifter. I would like to go with a B & M performance shifter. I have a few questions. Can I install a performance shifter and if so do I ned to make any mods to the tranny? And Can I install the shifter from inside the car or does it need to be installed from under the car and if so does the tranny need to come out.

Any helpful hints or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks
Brad

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I installed a TCI shifter in my 68 automatic. The shifter uses a cable instead of a linkage. The only real problem I had with the installation is that I had to move the shifter back a bit on the trans tunnel. The reason I had to do that is that the stock mustang auto shifter handle curves back and the TCI shifter handle is completely straight, so it had to be moved back to be in the proper location to reach it. It took a few hours but was not that hard to install. Most of the work was on the inside of the car. This is one of the best mods I have done to the car. Plus this shifter has a positive reverse lock out so you will never accidently push the shifter into reverse when shifting at the dragstrip. No mods to the transmission are necessary except for taking off the linkage and shifter arm and replacing those with the stuff that come with the new shifter. I expect most B&M's are cable driven as well.

Jeff Crumpley
Austin, Texas
68 302 j-code coupe
99 5.0 Eddie Bauer Explorer

1 - 2 of 2 Posts