Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am replacing the reverse lock out cable on my 66 4-speed shift handle, and have trial assembled and then disassembled the parts about 20 times in the process. The last time I put it together, the spring just disappeared into the handle tube and when you drop the detent piece into the bottom of the handle tube it has no spring tension on it. Must have been a piece up in the tube that the spring seated on - and it fell out? I didn't see any odd pieces around, but I don't even know what I am looking for. Anybody know? And what do I do now???

·
Premium Member
7,081 Posts
There is a guy in Maryland, Bill Heely or Neely, I forget, that rebuilds the shifters. May give him a call.

·
Registered
112 Posts
The picture is small, and not too good, but my Mustang Illustration Catalog shows the spring going up through the bottom of the shifter, and what appears to be a small washer on top of the spring.

Wish it was a better picture.

·
Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I can't see up into the shifter tube but I did stick a screwdriver up into the tube and think I can feel a small ridge all the way around the ID of the tube, like maybe a washer rests against it and creates a seat for the spring. Wonder where mine went???

·
Registered
112 Posts
Anything that is spring loaded is magic. It's like those ball in carbs. and valve bodies.

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
There is just a small washer that goes up in before the spring to keep it from going to far in. I was able to buy some at a local hardware store- #10 size or something similar. The washers often fall out without noticing when the handles are dissassembled, usually a little grease or grime is holding them in place.

·
Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You are right. I found a small, shiny, clean washer on the floor - looked like a hardware store item and "too clean" to have come out of my greasy/grimey shifter. I put a dab of grease on the end of the spring, stuck the washer on it, stuck the whole thing in the end of the shifter tube and - presto! - fixed. I was definitely looking for something more complicated than this, but it works.

Thanks to all for the input and assistance.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts