Vintage Mustang Forums banner

Shifter problem help please

2K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  Travis98146 
#1 ·
Ok. Let me give you the run down....
1. I have a 1965 Mustang 6 cyl 3 speed 2.77 transmission. Removed the tired engine and transmission.
2. Bought a 1966 Mustang 6 cyl 3 speed 3.03 transmission set up with a 1969 shifter rods and 1969 shifter.

I placed the 1966 set up into my 1965, but having all kinds of problems with the shifter not working right. My shifter will go into positions of forward, neutral, and back....but will not go over into 2nd and 3rd gears?

What do you think is the problem(s)? Shifter not working, rods placed in the wrong gears, ??? (I have no pics and could not find any info online to compare).

P.S. I tried placing my 65 shifter with its rods with this transmission, but got the same problem. Thank you for any comments. Chris W

#2 ·
Step 1: Factory Shop Manual
Step 2: Remove the rods and see if you can move the shift arms by hand. The factory shop manual will show you what position is needed for what gear.

#3 ·
This picture shows a 67 3 speed. Look familiar ? Follow the suggested steps 1 and 2. Disassemble linkage and check for free movement at trans lugs and shifter assembly. The 69 Shop Manual shows a 'stop pin ' in the shifter assembly ? Look for the shifter interference. Then insert rod in the alignment hole and adjust.
Vehicle Bumper Car

#4 ·
Ok. Let me give you the run down....
1. I have a 1965 Mustang 6 cyl 3 speed 2.77 transmission. Removed the tired engine and transmission.
2. Bought a 1966 Mustang 6 cyl 3 speed 3.03 transmission set up with a 1969 shifter rods and 1969 shifter.

I placed the 1966 set up into my 1965, but having all kinds of problems with the shifter not working right. My shifter will go into positions of forward, neutral, and back....but will not go over into 2nd and 3rd gears?

What do you think is the problem(s)? Shifter not working, rods placed in the wrong gears, ??? (I have no pics and could not find any info online to compare).

P.S. I tried placing my 65 shifter with its rods with this transmission, but got the same problem. Thank you for any comments. Chris W
Check out Brian's post. That is the correct way to do it. If I remember right, I used a 1/4" rod in the alignment hole on my 4 speed. yarb

Reactions: ILuv65FB
#5 ·
The standard movement in your shifter is 2nd and 3rd. To get low and reverse you have to move the lever to the left then forward for 1st and back for reverse. Also, try to adjust the levers on the shifter assy. To do that, make a tool out of 1/4 rod in an "L" shape with the short leg being 1 1/2 inches long the long leg 3 inches long. Just below the spring on the assy, there is a hole where you insert the tool. Loosen the nuts on the linkage and move the levers until the holes in the arms line up with the previous mentioned hole and insert the short let through both levers. Re-tighten the adjusting nuts and remove the tool. I just had to go through this with my '66. You may or may not have a low/reverse lockout on your shift handle. If so, you have to raise the lockout to move the lever to the left. If you can't get far enough left to engage low/reverse, there's a locking dog at the base of the shift handle that has to raise up and slide into the slot on the right hand side of the assembly frame. I had to put washers under the shifter handle (on the bolts) to get the dog to engage properly.

#8 ·
Thank you all for your responses....especially Brian on the great pic and Travis on the wonderful info. I did line up the shifter and loosened the middle inner bolt and nut in which I tightened up a few days before. In doing this, it freed up the middle shifting parts that were bound together after I tightened the middle bolt and nut. Problem solved, engine running well, and now off to the drive shaft and obtaining the right small size lower ujoints.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.