Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a question i have a 1972 ford mustang and i want to put in a b and M shifter is that something that is hard to install could i do it myself without messing anything up?

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
i know that on tv on saturday or sunday mornings they have a bunch of car shows lined up. in one of their shows they have a 65 red fastback ( 65 or 66) and they install a shifter. of course they made it look pretty simple. maybe someone else reading this will know what show i am talking about. i believe it is on tnn.

64 1/2 d-code
65 pedal

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
Installing a shifter is not overly difficult. One thing to you did not mention is what tranny you have. I don't know if the fmx was used up in the 72 mustangs. The hardware that comes with the shifter does not support that tranny. if you've got a c4 or c6, then go for it.

Rob
Member: Slightly Modified
66 coupe 302
66 fastback 351W

·
Registered
283 Posts
You have to watch out on some shifters. The universal, and even some "direct fit" (standard tranny) shifters won't fit, and you either have to cut out part of the trannsmission tunnel or get another shifter. Just a note, I hate people that cut huge sections of the tunnel out to put in a jimmy-rigged shifter.

67 FB GT S-code
4-speed

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have a B&M mega shifter in my 72 Mach1 the only thing I had to do is screw in a steel plate over the old 4 speed opening. And bolt the mega shifter to it and like they said above if you got a c4 or c6 the hardware that goes on the trans. is a snap.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
One more thing Most B&M shifters are cable shift no cutting of the tunnel is needed

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
Put a B&M street stick in my old Capri, Went in as easy as a factory shifter would have. Looked like it belonged on the car all along.

Someone please buy my Ski Doo!
68 fastback, 390 4V premium fuel
80 5.0 hatch, just finished
91 5.0 coupe, daily driver
84 RamCharger 4x4 extreme mudsliger and winter junker

1 - 7 of 7 Posts