Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
how do you go about putting ina automatic shifter is it pretty simple like a quick sil ver do i just take my factory out and screw the new one in or do i have to get inside the transmission???

·
Banned
3,730 Posts
No, you don't have to go inside the transmission. Figure it this way..It's not that hard to do, just takes time and a little patience. If things go well, about a half a day. If you have my luck, figure a whole day!

Jeff
Member: Flatheads ain't so bad association
Never trust an over 40 Chevy owner association (They have to cheat to win)

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
so dose the new shifter just screw in i mean liek should i pay a mechanic liek a hundred bucks to do it or could i prolly do it my self???

·
Registered
3,179 Posts
Aftermarket shifter? It shouldn't be too hard. Does the instructions give good information on the install and adjustment process?

Regards,

Dean T

Shikatta Ga Nai - "It cannot be helped"

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
Most aftermarket components now are geared for the do-it -yourselfer and are often direct replacement parts. This means anyone that can hold a screw driver can do it.

68 fastback, 390 4V premium fuel
80 5.0 hatch, just finished
91 5.0 coupe, daily driver
84 RamCharger 4x4 extreme mudsliger and winter junker
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1570462&a=11937310&p=44317415.jpg

·
Registered
673 Posts
Your bio says nothing (nothing that I saw) about what you're doing, or what stang you have, so I'm assuming you have a 67-68:

1. Are you doing a manual to auto converstion or something?
2. Or are you just putting a ratching aftermarket shifter in place of the stock?

In case 1, the removal of the manual shifter is just the opposite of the auto shifter install. There are four bolts that hold the manual unit to the floor boards, and the same four bolts can be used to hold the auto shifter in place.

In case 2, all the aftermarket shifters I've dealt with have been fairly straightforward. The adjustments can sometimes be a pain; just takes a bit of extra patience. Remember tho, this is supposed to be fun :)

In either case, you will probably have to remove both front seats (or cut your carpet, ick) so you can remove the front section of carpet and get to the bottom section of the shifter (auto or manual). The auto shifters in 67-68 are disconnected from the transmission most easily from the under the car, and both manual and auto are unbolted from the floor boards from inside the car (thus, the carpent must be removed.)

There are four chrome screws in surround the stock auto shifter. These only hold the bezel in place.

Oh, and if you have a console, it's another story :)

Thespazardman

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by thespazardman on 04/08/01 01:10 PM (server time).</FONT></P>

1 - 6 of 6 Posts