Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
879 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had my front end aligned, tires rotated and balanced. The tie rods have been looked at were said to be fine. My question for anyone who may know, or have an idea is this.
Whenever I get the car to about 50mph, I get a pretty good shimmy. This goes away at higher speeds at least up to 85mph. After rotating and re-balancing the wheels, the shimmy was less, but still did not go away. I have the styled steel wheels (one piece), and the tires still have good tread. Any thoughts?
Thanks.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
I don't know if it's related, but my 99 Galant had a shimmy that wouldn't go away until I replaced the rims. They would balance fine, but the rim centers were actually slightly off center, like the rim was bent. Mine were never "curb shot" and had behaved that way since new. I thought it was the tires and replaced them. It took one day of driving on the new tires to know it was the rims. By that time the dealer said "good luck" and I went and bought an inexpensive set of alloys for it. It now rides like it's supposed to.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I had the same problem with a shimmy at 60 mph and up.
I had the tires rotated and balanced , it didn't help, checked the u-joints they were good, not loose or tight, put different rims on andnow it is smooth.

·
Registered
879 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks, I will try a new set of rims, and see how that goes. I wanted to put 66 rims on anyway. I have 65 style rims on now.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts