Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone think of a reason why a 92 Mustang (original engine) would need new springs?

Also, how much would replacing the shocks and springs cost (I know a monkey could change out shocks, but if my bud needs to bring the car in for springs, they might as well change the shocks - unless they are spanking him on the price)

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
ARE you sure its the springs(sagging) insted of shocks(trapoline style jumping) the shocks are around 150$ and springs i think are around 100 a pair

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This is my friend's 21 year old son who brought his car in to a mechanic because it was leaning.
I've owned a lot of cars in my time and most of them were significantly over ten years old with high mileage (150000+) and I have never needed to replace springs.
If he wanted stiffer springs or to lower the car that's one thing, but to *need* for them to be replaced raised my eyebrows.

I can see replacing the shcoks.

I don't want the kid to get screwed.

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
My 93 did... At 33K the LF spring split in two. Nice 45 deg. fracture. It was such a bear to change I only did the one side. at 38K the RHS broke EXACTALLY in the same place. OOOPS. Faulty springs no doubt. I have 60+K miles on the new spring with no problems.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts