Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my old 68 coupe I had trouble with my 302 tearing my shock tower from the torque, I ended up just welding the crap out of it and chaining the motor down. On my fastback I don't want this to happen so dont they make a reinforcement kit for it? I guess i could just weld on a stout plate behind it but I want it to look goooooood.

68 Fastback.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
On your old coupe, how was the trany mount. It sounds like your car either had some major abuse or your mounts were worn out. Just a thought.

·
Registered
3,482 Posts
I have to agree with Darel, You've got to running one hell of a 302. Almost all of the times I've encountered this is on drag cars or road race cars with a near solid suspension which fatiqued cracked every joint on the car. The BOSS 302 suspension modification book showed a flat plate welded inside the shock tower running from under the upper a-arm mount to the outer lip of the frame rail. I don't recall any motor mounting location mods suggested.

Tom Kubler, Long-time Mustang Enthusiast & San Antonio Mustang Club Founder

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, I removed the trans many times and never noticed anything worn or broke with the mount... This was back in highschool so the car had its share of abuse.. The 302 was hopped up a good bit I would figure around 350hp... But you could be right I just remembered that one time I broke a engine mount and maybe that is when the fatigue cracks set in and later after I replaced the mount is when the rest gave way. HMMMMM...... Well in the fastback I plan on putting a 393 stroker in it, so Im probably still gona need some kind of reinforcement.....

68 Fastback.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I see this all the time on 67-8's. I think if you take your time you can make the reinforcements look good. Try a search here and see if anyone covered this as to where to get some. I will need the same thing also, right now I have huge frakenstein welds on my right tower.

·
Registered
3,482 Posts
When you find a crack, go to the end and drill through the metal with a 1/8th inch drill bit (or so) before welding things back together. This will releive the stress at the point of propagation. Looking at my earlier post, I left out heavily raced street machines. Street (road) racing probably hurts a car worse than on a road course because of the poor conditions found on public streets. Any use of polyethylene and nylon bushings will make fatique cracking worse since the softer rubber isn't there to help dampen the shock to the chassis.

Tom Kubler, Long-time Mustang Enthusiast & San Antonio Mustang Club Founder

·
Supporting Vendor
3,961 Posts
They do make a shock tower repair/strengthen kit. I believe it i made
by the same people who do the neg. wedge kits. Jim @ mustangsplus.com
or 1-800-999-4289 can help you out. We did some when I worked at a
Mustang restoration shop a few years ago.

http://home.earthlink.net/~myradpc/_uimages/turn4.JPG
Turn 4 @ Laguna Seca----Turn 2 @ Sears Point
http://home.earthlink.net/~myradpc/_uimages/turn8.JPG

1 - 7 of 7 Posts