Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • May's Ride of the Month contest ended with a tie! Go to this thread to vote on the winner! VOTE HERE
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What relationship exist between the shock and the coil spring? If the coil is cut so the result is the coil is 3/4" shorter than originally.(the spring is a newer coil that is actually shorter than an original coil.)
How does this effect the shock? is the stroke shorter? or just not able to travel the required distance of it's intended design limits. (In effect bottoming out).
What will be the result.
I've read many pros and cons on the subject of cutting coils. But I don't recall any reports of cause and effect.
I've been finding out everytime I modify something it affects something else and it requires some mods and it affects someting, etc, etc, etc.
That goes with the statement I learned early on in this restoration business; "If you think it will cost X, then double it then double it again"

·
Premium Member
19,235 Posts
What matters is the length of the spring when everything is put together and all weight is on the spring. A weak long spring will compress down to the same length as a strong short spring, for example.

Most shocks can handle a +/- 1" difference in resting position. Only rarely will a shock bottom out or compress completely.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I see in the mods forum there is a discussion going on that this may fit into.
They seem to be hitting on the same issues I am trying to get at here.

·
Registered
8,016 Posts
Actually it won't make any difference to the shock.

The furtherest the suspension can unload is already controlled by the shock in most cases (i.e., the shock will bottom out before the upper A arm hits the frame rail).

And in the other direction the max compression occurs when the upper A arm hits the snubber.

So neither the max nor the min compression is controlled by the spring.

John Harvey

·
Registered
131 Posts
There can be a problem if the spring compresses more than the shock, as it will bottom out and shear off. I have a Factory 5 Cobra and they have been running on this problem. It seems there was a type of spring they used that had extra coils in it and caused the spring to bottom out and it was shearing off the top of the shock mount.

·
Registered
8,016 Posts
That may be the case in a factory five, but the *STOCK* design of the Mustang is that the shock fully extends and serves as a stop before the A arm hits the limit of its travel.

John Harvey

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for clearing that up.
I always like to bounce ideas around to see if I'm thinking it through correctly or if someone knows something that idon't. In the case of automotive theroy that doesn't take to much!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts