Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it possible to unbolt the crossbraces that run between the shock towers and the firewall? I would like to take them off for painting, but I'm afraid that if I take them both off, I may not be able to get them back in. The motor is mostly disassembled, so there is less weight stressing the compartment walls right now, which should help. Anyone ever done this?

Shannon a.k.a. The ShanMan! /forums/images/icons/cool.gif
66' Vintage Burgundy C-code coupe (mine)
95' XLT Ranger (mine)
01' GLX 1.8T New Beetle (hers)

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
As Mr. Bishir said, it shouldn't be a big deal. However, many people have had to 'fight' to get export braces on because of 'sagging' shock towers. After 30 years, the towers sometimes tend to 'roll' inward, decreasing the distance between left and right upper shock mounts. Often, just jacking the car up from the center (with a stout board or something between the chassis and the jack), will allow the towers to 'droop' outwards and the brace will fit. Worst case, something like a porta-power can be used to move the towers outward. BTW -I like your unique status, Bishir. Very appropriate! *LOL*

Glenn Morgan 66 GT Fastback 351w+toploader

·
Registered
672 Posts
I took mine off without any trouble. You will need to jack up the car to let the shock towers "relax" a bit so you can pull them off. Then you can let it back down.

http://my67heven.tripod.com/emsm.gifI was looking for a restoration of fantasy. I do not want my car to be as it was in 1967. I want it to be as I imagined it in 1967. -John Baird
Got Rust?

·
Registered
3,179 Posts
Agree with everyone else, the standard cross braces are easy to remove and replace and sice you aren't driving the car around shouldn't make things move around a lot.

I also recommend you replace your std cross brace with an export brace if you can.

Regards,

Dean T

Shikatta Ga Nai - "It cannot be helped"

1 - 7 of 7 Posts