Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok, I am working on a 65 Metuchen built hardtop. I can't remember if the 3 bolts that hold the shock cap on are supposed to be wedged between the under reinforcement plate and the top of the apron, or just under the plate passing thru it and the top of the apron. It would make sense to squeeze them in there, but all the slots on both sides are closed up tight as though thats not how the car was put together. I would have to take a chisel to try and open all 6 slots up. The carriage head square portion is tight in the top slot if you stick the bolt in upside down, but when you insert it up thru the slot, the bottom slot must be wider as the bolt spins easily. What do you all think!
IMGP0268.JPG

·
Registered
46 Posts
ok, I am working on a 65 Metuchen built hardtop. I can't remember if the 3 bolts that hold the shock cap on are supposed to be wedged between the under reinforcement plate and the top of the apron, or just under the plate passing thru it and the top of the apron. It would make sense to squeeze them in there, but all the slots on both sides are closed up tight as though thats not how the car was put together. I would have to take a chisel to try and open all 6 slots up. The carriage head square portion is tight in the top slot if you stick the bolt in upside down, but when you insert it up thru the slot, the bottom slot must be wider as the bolt spins easily. What do you all think!
View attachment 744570
They are supposed to be between.

·
Premium Member
10,052 Posts
I hope you haven't chiseled yet because that is wrong. As 64-1/2 said- the heads of the "carriage" bolts are held in place by the upper spring insulator.

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
hmmm, I have one private message that says yes, 1 responding yes, 2 responding no's...I did chisel open the lft and rght inner ones closest to the engine, but I have not done the 2 ones closer to the fender on either side......I have a 66 coup covered up outside that I would bet is unmolested I will go look at that car and then I have the 66 fastback I can look closer at.....the bolts did fit nicely in the 2 spots I tapped open....but, theres no way they came like that, not so pretty after my handiwork...I can close them up with bolts in place, or take them out and beat the metal back flush. so I think maybe the bolt between the coil spring insulator and sandwiched apron slots is how it came from the factory....any other folks wanna chime in on this seemingly simple thing!
IMGP0270.JPG IMGP0271.JPG

·
Registered
46 Posts
hmmm, I have one private message that says yes, 1 responding yes, 2 responding no's...I did chisel open the lft and rght inner ones closest to the engine, but I have not done the 2 ones closer to the fender on either side......I have a 66 coup covered up outside that I would bet is unmolested I will go look at that car and then I have the 66 fastback I can look closer at.....the bolts did fit nicely in the 2 spots I tapped open....but, theres no way they came like that, not so pretty after my handiwork...I can close them up with bolts in place, or take them out and beat the metal back flush. so I think maybe the bolt between the coil spring insulator and sandwiched apron slots is how it came from the factory....any other folks wanna chime in on this seemingly simple thing!
View attachment 744661 View attachment 744662
I am sorry, I just looked at my convertible and fastback and both were under both pieces. Sorry to mis lead you.

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No worries, the more I looked at it the more I was like...no way, With an led light and a magnifying glass, I looked at my 66 and came to the same conclusion, thats how they were installed, under the 2nd apron section, not in between. I hammered it back tight and moved on! Some more grinding today, next is welding in the cowl brace and then the rght frt apron...this is taking a lot longer than I had thought but enjoying it and excited to be building a 20 thousand dollar coup!
IMGP0274.JPG IMGP0275.JPG

·
Registered
46 Posts
No worries, the more I looked at it the more I was like...no way, With an led light and a magnifying glass, I looked at my 66 and came to the same conclusion, thats how they were installed, under the 2nd apron section, not in between. I hammered it back tight and moved on! Some more grinding today, next is welding in the cowl brace and then the rght frt apron...this is taking a lot longer than I had thought but enjoying it and excited to be building a 20 thousand dollar coup!
View attachment 744775 View attachment 744776
The parts are cheap, but can spend a lot of money to get them nice. Can learn a lot on this site by asking questions. Good luck with project

1 - 9 of 9 Posts