Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey everyone, I'm new to forums, so please bare with me. I have recently aquired a '66 Mustang coupe with a 289 and 3 speed for my fiance. It is a restomod project car for us. I have built many hot rods, but never a Ford, let alone a Mustang. I am modifying the front end so that it can comfortably fit a 347 with Cleveland 2v heads and headers. A good friend of mine suggested using '69 or '70 shock towers. Will this work? I was looking at some pics and they don't look like they would match up. I trust my friend, he's been toying with Mustangs for a long time, but I feel that there is nothing wrong with a second or third opinion. So any input would be helpful.

·
Premium Member
10,960 Posts
you dont need to change the shock towers to put a boss 302 style engine in a 65-66. and thats what a 347 with cleveland heads is. C heads on a 289-302 block is the same deminsions as a 69-70 boss 302. to change 65-66 shock towers to 68-70 also requires the 67 manual steering pitman arm with the 1" hole or switching to a 68-70 steering box and modifing the column and using the 68-70 manual steering pitman arm, 67-70 manual centerlink, inner tie rods to match the year centerlink, 68-70 strut rods and frame mounting brackets, 68-70 upper and lower a-arms, 68-70 front spring cause they are taller, 67-70 front sway bar, 67-70 maunal steering idler arm. i know cause i have done this 68-70 shock tower swap in my 65-66 mustangs b 4. its an expensive way to go and not necessary for your engine build. i knew a guy with a 65 shelby that put a Boss 302 engine in ,had some headers made and had room left. i did it cause i put a 351C 4V in a 66 and a 351W stroker in a 65 and another 65. "behold a foto of the 66 i had with the C". the gray primer shock tower is a wrap around from a 69 cougar for 65 mustang. btw it would be way better to use some aluminum aftermarket heads on that 347. you will need a boss 302 intake and the only ones that were made are the factory 180deg , the wiend tunnel ram and the rare and race only inline carb and cross boss. the factory street intakes run about $450.00 and up and are all used. it will be cheaper,better, and you will make more usable power with a set of aluminum heads from AFR, edelbrock, etc. hell you could probably make more power with a good set of ford racing iron heads. if you want a C style engine then go all the way and put the 4V heads on that 347. but if you want a hot rod that makes power get aluminum windsor style heads. you will be able to use off the shelf headers , intake , acesory brackets , etc.

Attachments

·
Registered
8,138 Posts
Ditto on a good set of aftermarket Windsor heads. Boss style motors look cool, but unless you are living in the high RPM range all day, or trying to restore an original Boss car, it is a wasted effort. But if that is what you really want, GO FO IT! Just post photos!
Money would be better spent in suspension mods for handling.

·
Registered
35,894 Posts
Yeah, changing the towers would be a waste of time and money. The 351C V8 will fit, barely, between the stock 65-66 towers. A 347 smallblock, even with Cleveland heads, will fit easily. The wider setup introduced in 67 was intended to clear the 390/428 FE engine, which was huge compared to the 289.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts