Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone provide the factory measurement between the shock towers on a 65-66 and the points where the measurements are taken?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Caper50!

Exactly what I needed. Looks like I and dead on. Was thinking about adding an export brace and a Monte Carlo bar, but wasn’t sure how far off the dimensions were.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Just got to looking at this thread and decided to take a measurement on my 66. From inner fender to inner fender, like Brian showed I'm getting 40 and 3/8" My other measurements bolt to bolt on the export brace come in at 30.5" and center large hole is 33.75". The inner fenders are dynacorn one piece replacements, and they almost look like they slightly angle out. Wondering if that's why I'm getting a different measurement there than everybody else, or If I screwed something up? Been a year and a half since I worked on this part of the car, and now I'm freaking out that I messed up.

·
Registered
225 Posts
My original 66 measures exactly as pictured by Casper. Good to know its the same! My SD export brace does not fit up real well but it does go together if I have all 10 bolts loose then tighten them all up gradually.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Just took the same measurement on my '66. Caper50's photo could have been shot in my engine bay. My measurement was identical . . . . a tick over 40".

·
Registered
217 Posts
@FRC928 I wouldn't panic yet. If you can bolt up the export brace you will have lots of movement on the fender and hood adjustments to make everything look good. Try putting the export brace on to see exactly where you are at.

Thanks Brian.

The export brace is currently bolted up, and fits good. The outside edges, at the shock tower, have about a quarter inch, maybe less, clearance from the inner fenders. Since the brace fit, this is why I thought it was strange that when I measured like you did, It's wider. Like I did say both inner fenders are replacement one piece units.

I took some other measurements to double check things, and I'm at least happy everything is square up front.

·
Registered
560 Posts
I thought that I would go measure mine, since I had to shorten the Scott Drake bar by about 3/8".
Mine measured 40" exactly. Whew!
It's funny how consistent this measurement is with the tolerances on these cars.

·
Registered
647 Posts
My bar and export brace fit perfectly with no spreading of the towers. They fit the same after I replaced both shock towers. I wonder how many of the 40” towers are original VS the 40 3/8” measurement that are replacements? My guess is that the upper flange angle is not quite the same as a factory tower.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
My 40" measurement is taken in an engine bay that is 100% OE sheet metal. The only sheet metal on the entire car that did not come from the factory is the "factory replacement" hood that I personally installed.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I measured mine the other day. Sadly, mine is at 39 3/8" just in front of the towers where the MC bar would bolt in

Is 5/8" a lot to spread the towers?

Would the old stands at the back of the rails trick give me that kind of distance?

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
5/8" is a huge discrepancy! I just went out to my car to measure along the apron at different locations and the smallest measurement I found was about 39 15/16" at the point where the front panel attaches just ahead of the shock tower, as seen at the bottom of Caper50's photos. That measurement can be attributed to the jog in the metal to accommodate the sheet metal overlap.

Is it even possible to mount the front fenders and have enough adjustment to close the hood if they are that far off? Lay a straight edge on the apron from the firewall to the rad support. You should be able to see that much deviation. If you do both sides, you can determine if the issue is with one or both aprons. There is a slight jog in the upper line that you will have to take into consideration. Was the car ever hit in the front?

·
Registered
89 Posts
I really don't know if the car has been hit or not. Towers and aprons all look original but who knows for sure after 53 years. The gaps on the hood to fenders all look good. Maybe a tad tight. I was surprised how short the tower to tower measurement was.

I'll take a few more measurements and see it anything jumps out.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts